can be SO frustruating! This was not my plan for this journal, but because of how I spent my last 45 minutes, that is where I will start. After work, I went and hung out with my dad for a while at the horse races (simulcast, not outside!). When I got home, I quickly checked my email and glanced at a couple of "my blogs" before deciding I better do my own journaling so I could go to bed. Well, for some reason, my computer decided to stop having an Internet connection. I was VERY frustruated, and close to tears (which is VERY silly considering all the "real problems" out there, but that was where I was). I'm not exactly sure if I fixed anything, but I tried one thing, and another, and another, and then finally just restarted my computer (I'm thinking now that maybe I shouldn't have waited 45 minutes to do that because who knows what kinds of things I messed up by all of my attempted "troubleshooting"). When it came back on, the Internet decided to start working again. So, here I am...all "keyed up" and it is BED TIME! (Good thing sleeping isn't usually a problem for me!).
Too bad this happened, because I had all SORTS of nice things to write about today :o) Who knew that April 18 was such a special day--I know FOUR people who celebrated their birthdays today! (Two moms of patients who were at the hospital today, one sibling, and my nursing student's boyfriend...crazy!). My friend ended up going home for the night to spend the evening with her daughter for her 10th birthday. My student called her boyfriend since he lives in another state. One of the mom's celebrated by having her daughter discharged from the hospital, the other mom was celebrating because her baby is still making progress. What a great day!
I actually went and visited the baby today (his mom wanted me to go see him after I dropped off her birthday card). His color is a lot better, and he appears pretty comfortable (I suppose being completely sedated can do that to you!). Anyway, he still has quite a lot of machines working for him, but as his parents wrote today, "In looking at all the machines that are helping [him, we] are amazed that we are so wonderfully made by God with the ability to do so much! We are definitely not taking anything for granted." Oh so true. His mom was so funny today...she called me not long after that and said that her husband would like to take her out to lunch...with my car. I had sort of prepared myself for that, so it was okay, but for some reason did feel kind of odd. I told her sure, but that they could NOT make a big deal out of it...I don't feel like explaining why this situation is different, especially when I'm not exactly sure how it all happened myself. In any case, they were able to have a nice birthday lunch, get some things at Target, buy me a cinnamon roll at Panera, and once again fill my tank with gas (I'm not sure I'm going to remember how to pump my own gas! This is the second time they have "topped me off" this week!). He is flying back home early Sunday morning, so it was nice to be able to help them out this way (because, after that it will just be her and the baby...and I don't anticipate her asking to take my car out on trips by herself because I will just take her when I can go too!). Birthdays are special days, and to be a part of making someone have a special birthday makes me happy :o)
I know this is my journal, and I use it to get my feelings out, maybe never even taking the time to "sort through them", but sometimes it is nice to get some feedback. Laurie, thank you for your comment on my previous post. There are things money can't buy, but there are things it can. So, if I do little things that don't cost money and a couple that do, and they are simply doing the same, I guess it all works out in the end and I shouldn't feel bad about any of it. While I don't exactly feel it is "right" that they keep buying me gas and dinner, it obviously is worth it to them. That means they don't have to rely on a cab, and can go do "normal things" (and sometimes have some "good company" if I do say so myself!) Friends are SO important, no matter how they end up coming into your life. Thanks again!
Anyway, my Internet connection pooped out again in the middle of my typing, so now it is well after 11:00 and I HAVE to go to bed! Back to work tomorrow. Good night.
1 comment:
God is using you in the sweetest and most practical ways and I just love reading about it. Look at the living blessings you are witness to each day with these babies and their parents. And God even using your car as a blessing to them:) This is huge to people uprooted from their homes with no extra comforts. This is big to those parents and your generosity is not forgotten. This is your ministry and such an important one, right where you are and I am so proud of you for being a blessing. I am blessed to call you my friend.
Love you, Laurie in Ca.
Post a Comment