Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Cleaning and Cooking

I slept in pretty late today. I had a crazy long dream about needing to get to Florida. I actually need to email the people involved in that dream considering they are ladies that I have never met. I was getting pretty desperate, but I wish I would have written down more of the details before I forgot them. I don't exactly remember why I needed to be there, but it was pretty important (I am not sure if I ever made it!).

Anyway, I did make it to 11:00 Mass. After that, I decided to see if my "new friend" would be interested in coming over to dinner if I cooked (her husband left this morning, so I figured she would be feeling a little lonely). She said sure, so I got to work on my cleaning. Even though she saw my house when it was a disaster, this was the motivation I needed to get things done. Pretty much every day, someone says to me "your hair is getting long". Yep, and it is all over my bathroom floor even though I do "spot clean ups" every now and then. So, I loaded the dishwasher, vacuumed my living room and kitchen (I know, carpet in the kitchen is crazy, but I have no idea what I would find if I pulled it up and don't have the money to do anything major), and cleaned my bathroom. I also threw away a lot of papers that were strewn about my living room and tidied up my kitchen. I have a ways to go before my house is "organized", but it does look better.

I had planned to get dinner pretty much ready before I picked her up, but I was "out and about", so went to the hospital around 5:00 and she had to watch me cook. I got a little self-conscious having her watch me cook, because I'm really not used to cooking for anyone (and hardly ever cook in the first place)! Fortunately, she told me her husband is the cook in the family, so she didn't feel like she could "judge" my skills :o) It actually worked out pretty well--I baked tilapia that I had marinated, pan-fried asparagus, creamy Italian noodles, and an apple/mandarin orange fruit salad. She thought it was good, and felt like she ate healthy. I was a little disappointed that the timing was a little off so the noodles were cold, but she had an extra little portion of them, so it must have been okay with her! After dinner, we walked to get ice cream :o) It was SO great hanging out with her, and I enjoyed cooking (and this was a GREAT way to get me to clean...even though she never even went in my bathroom, now I have a clean bathroom for myself!). I let her use my computer to check her email, and printed off some information for her about the Children's Organ Transplant Association (cota) since some friends have offered to help them with fundraising. It was after 9:00 when I brought her back to the hospital, but if she didn't have a sick baby and I didn't have to work, we probably could have hung out all night long!

She can't wait to see that smile again! (neither can I!)
___________________________
In case that "menu" makes you hungry (or curious!)...here are the recipes I used:
Seafood Marinade
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp dried chives (or 1 tbsp fresh chives)
1 tsp dried dill weed (or 1 tbsp fresh dill)
1 tbsp lemon pepper seasoning
Mix well. Marinate 1 pound of any seafood or fish at least 4 hours. Drain well and discard marinade. Grill or broil seafood until done.
Pan-Fried Asparagus
1/4 cup butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 pound fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Cook garlic in butter for a minute, but do not brown. Add asparagus, and cook for 10 minutes, turning asparagus to ensure even cooking.
Creamy Italian Noodles
1 package (8 oz) wide egg noodles
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup whipping cream, half and half cream, or evaporated milk
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 1/4 teaspoons Italian salad dressing mix
Cook noodles according to package directions; drain and place in a bowl. Toss with butter. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Serve immediately.
Fruit salad
1 apple
1 can mandarin oranges, drained
1/4 cup Miracle Whip
1-2 tsp sugar
Cut up apple and pour mandarin orange juice over pieces. Mix Miracle whip and sugar (like a "dressing). Drain juice from apples. Add drained oranges to apple. Stir in dressing.
We got to my house around 5:15, and we ate a little before 6:00, so it was pretty quick. The only things that were done were--the apple had been cut up, and the tilapia was marinating. Fun, fast, and yummy! :o)
Good night!

2 comments:

Marcie said...

I'm always motivated to clean better when people are coming over, too. And I'm going to try the asparagus recipe this week...thanks! Have a great Monday!
Marcie

Laurie in Ca. said...

Oh yeah, there is nothing like company coming to make us clean up our house right? And I wish the bathroom would stay clean for 6 months before having to do it again. My least favorite room to clean. I am going to do the asparagus too. I love veggies and have never thought of doing asparagus this way. It sounds like your dinner and company was a success. Wish I was there!:)
Have you seen the update on Lauren today? They think she will get out to go home on Wednesday!!! I am so thankful that she has recovered from her tragic injury. God is so good and her parents sound so relieved. Your baby in the picture is so adorable. I am praying that they are doing well and recovering from their surgeries. You are a good friend to those parents and such a true blessing. Have a wonderful week.

Love, Laurie in Ca.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails