Today was a family day. I have such a wonderfully fabulous family that I often forget that other people don't have that. Not that I really take them for granted, but it would seem SO strange to me not to talk to my parents regularly, or not know my cousins or aunts and uncles. There are lots of questions about family in my foster parent paperwork. I am sure those questions were good reminders of how truly blessed I am to have been placed in a family that loves and cares for each other (AND like to "hang out" with each other!).
I slept in which was very nice (of course, the fact that it was COLD outside my bed made me want to stay in it all day!). I went to church and then to mom and dad's. My dad cooked me French Toast and made me a fresh pot of coffee. SO nice!! Then my mom and I went to my aunt and uncle's house. My aunt hemmed five pairs of my pants (being five feet tall, I usually just walk on the bottoms, but she offered and I accepted!). She also let me have some of her vegetable beef soup (I know, I shouldn't have been hungry, but I ate anyway!). Then, we all went to watch my fourteen-year-old cousin play soccer (one of her older sisters, my aunt, uncle, mom, and me). They lost and it was chilly, but it was fun to see her out there on the field. I was home long enough to load and start the dishwasher, but that's about it before I headed back to mom and dad's. My sister was there making banana bread--yum! My dad made tuna casserole (my brother-in-law's FAVORITE meal, so we have that for "family dinner" quite often). My mom made her "special dressing" for all of our favorite cabbage salad. My dad also made Jell-O (I think it is funny that he makes Jell-O!). The five of us had a lovely dinner and conversation :o) After everyone else went their separate ways, mom and I had our own little "chat". She is struggling with some family stuff with her siblings and is needing time to work through them. Talking about it helps, and she is more than willing to listen to me whenever I have stuff to say, so it was nice to be able to "be there" for her too :o)
I talked to the baby's mom when I got home. I thought that they took him off dialysis yesterday, but they are just seeing if they can do less of it. I'm not sure if enough time has passed to see if he will tolerate that. He was having some blood pressure issues while we were on the phone, so I guess in "media terms" he would still be considered "critical". Tomorrow I'm going to take her to my favorite clothing store (Fashion Bug) to get some new shirts. I'm also going to cook us dinner again. Those plans are, of course, tentative until we know how he is doing tomorrow afternoon...transplant life is day to day (or hour to hour, or minute to minute...I suppose that's really no different than the life of anyone else...).
So, my bed is calling me (even though it isn't nearly as chilly in my house tonight as it was last night). Good night!
2 comments:
I can relate to how great it is to have a wonderful family and to enjoy hanging out together. In fact, we were out late tonight because we were doing just that. By moving back to Arizona, our kids will really know their grandparents, aunts, uncles & cousins which was our goal (along with buying a house). It's so stabilizing and comforting to have a close-knit family.
Have an awesome week!
Marcie
Hanging out with family is so great. I feel bad for the people who only get to see family on special occasions because of distance. I am so fortunate to have all of mine within 15 minutes of us. I am glad you had a great time with yours. I will be praying for your baby and his mother too.
Love, Laurie in Ca.
Post a Comment