Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Day One

I have three days off in a row again this week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday), but last week it didn't feel like it at all! This week, my plan is to get some rest and get some stuff done around the house. Today, I didn't get up until 10:00 and that felt GREAT! I also ended up taking a long nap this afternoon which was VERY nice too! I did go work out at Curves, and have lost a couple pounds since the last time I weighed myself, but still have quite a bit of work to do (however, that probably would require cutting down on the ice cream, candy, and going out to eat which probably isn't going to happen, so I should just be "okay" with the way things are!).

I did go to the hospital, but not actually INTO the hospital, so maybe this doesn't count as going into work on my day off! A gentleman came to do a talk about his organ donation story. His son was killed when they were traveling in Italy in 1994. He was able to save the lives of seven people through organ donation. He shared his story, and I bought his new book called "The Gift That Heals". This book is a compilation of stories from different views of organ donation...donor families, recipients and their families, caregivers, etc. I am looking forward to reading it, because it looks like it will be very inspiring, and informative. His first book was called "The Nicholas Effect" because the number of people signing up to be organ donors tripled after his son's organs were donated. This is a link to his foundation. I am very glad it worked out for me to attend the talk.

I got my reading done for class this evening, but still have to get caught up on my homework. It was nice to be able to share good news about the baby since I was SO upset in class last Thursday. Here is an excerpt of what the parents wrote this evening on their Care Page: "Day one down, a lifetime to go...What a great day! All day long the doc's would come by [his] room astounded by his progress. Almost all thought [he] would have complications immediately after surgery, however, with great nurses...[he] is recuperating beautifully...as you can tell we are feeling very encouraged, relieved and humbled." He remains on pretty high settings on the ventilator, and they started dialysis, but they have hope, and that is wonderful. They continue to need prayers, because he is still a very sick baby.

I spoke with one of my aunts tonight. She and her husband are updating their will and were wondering if I would be willing to have my name on there to take care of their youngest child if anything happened to them. Even though none of us anticipate anything happening, it is still an honor to be asked and of course I said yes. I also talked to one of my other aunts. She is having her final surgery after the double mastectomy she had last fall. My mom is there with her which is great.

Well, I think it's bed time! I'm looking forward to sleeping in again :o) I don't REALLY have any plans until the afternoon--yay! Good night!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails