Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Friday, November 25, 2011

Randomness

Since I have managed to write some kind of post every day in November, I decided I shouldn't stop now. However, I can't think of much to write since I worked all day and just got to bed after kind of falling asleep on the couch. So, I thought I should "document" the silly dream that I had last night/this morning.

I should start with a little "back story"--yesterday I took care of this teenage patient that I have cared for for MONTHS. She was doing great, but this week got sick again. So, some of this will be meaningless to anyone who doesn't work in the hospital, but it's for me to remember ;) Anyway, she has a double lumen line meaning I had two places to put medications and fluids. She was getting TPN through one lumen and Dilaudid through the other. She also was getting FIVE IV antibiotics and received Albumin and IV Lasix during my shift. Some things could run with TPN, some with Dilaudid, some with neither, some with both, some ran for a long time, some ran for a short time...it really was as crazy as it sounds and I was thankful for my morning coffee because I had to use a lot of brain power first thing yesterday morning!

It should not come as a surprise, then, that there were IV antibiotics in my dream. Some how, I believe they were at my house and were not being given to my patient (I actually had an IV antibiotic dream a few weeks ago too...) So, I think the "gist" of my dream was to get them to where they needed to go. However, I took a turn somewhere and ended up in high school (maybe my high school, but it kind of seemed bigger and there may have been boys there). I was at my locker and started putting things in there and eventually my locker became a walk-in one and I started putting things from my locker into a shopping cart. Then, I couldn't find anything in my cart and thought I would be late to geometry when my book was no where to be found. I'm not sure I ever did find my book (and I don't think my IV antibiotics were still in my possession) but I did go to geometry with my grocery cart of papers and books. Surprisingly enough, I do think that this grocery cart in the classroom thing was actually "odd" in my dream as well as in real life ;)

I don't really remember the rest of it or how everything all fit together (or did not fit together). However, I did tell people at work that I gave so many IV antibiotics yesterday that they were in my dreams. I gave one less IV antibiotic today but had to fit in IV Zofran...hopefully tonight's dreams don't bring antibiotics on attack or anything crazy like that ;)

Good night :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails