Thankful for the Girls
Originally posted November 25, 2010
This year, I am especially thankful for these girls that God brought into my life. They have taught me so much, and my life is truly changed for the better because they are in it. I am also thankful for my family who has helped me SO much in making being a foster mom to these girls possible. They are flexible and patient and understanding. They are there when all I can do is cry (or scream in frustration of "the system" and how things are).
Yesterday was particularly rough since the teen was off school and I figured the girls would spend the day with their family. I hadn't talked to their mom since Sunday, and she talked (VERY) briefly to the teen on Tuesday, her 16th birthday. Yesterday, the 24th, apparently is the day the whole family gets together to celebrate the teen's birthday, her brothers birthday, and her grandma's birthday (both of theirs are on the 24th). I heard NOTHING from the mom regarding the party plans...and the only contact the girls had with their family yesterday was when the teen called to wish her brother and her grandma happy birthday. The siblings were with the mom, and here we were at home...
I seriously cried intermittently throughout the day because I was SO sad for these girls. The little one didn't really have a clue, although she did know it was her brother's birthday and they were not at a party for him. The teen takes things all in stride and seriously amazes me with her strength (I couldn't hold myself together, but don't think she actually saw me crying.)
Instead of moping around all day (since the girls definitely were not!), I decided we would get out my Christmas decorations and "make Christmas" as the little one said. There have been (too many) years that I we didn't put up a tree and I was looking forward to doing this with them. Granted, I didn't want it to be for this reason, but we were all at home and it worked.
The teen helped me rearrange furniture in the living room so we could put up the "big tree". Then, she decorated a little tree for their room. We have another tree that will go up in the basement, but she was all decorated out.
I suppose it is fitting that my previous post was about being thankful for thorns because we definitely had to make the most of a day that wasn't the way it was "supposed" to be.
My stomach was churning just wondering if the girls would be spending Thanksgiving with their family or not. I was in the shower at 8:25 AM when the girls' mom called to say she was on her way to get them. The girls were sound asleep, but got ready in time for their 9:00 AM pick-up. She's apparently a really crappy planner/communicator, but at least they will be with their family. I'm looking forward to spending it with mine.
A lot has happened since then. Their mom is still pretty unreliable, but the girls are happy and I'm thankful that she still allows us to have contact. Tomorrow, the girls (hopefully both girls) are coming with me to a hockey game. I'm really excited, especially since I haven't seen the little one in over a month. I think it's going to be hard to put up my Christmas stuff this year (last year was the first year I went "all out" in a while) without anyone else here to enjoy it with me, but I will at least make myself put up a tree...and will post a picture as proof when I do ;)
Good night.
No comments:
Post a Comment