Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

One of Them Days

I know I don't have to keep "committing" to posting every day in November because I saw something on twitter about it, but I'm trying, even though I can barely keep my eyes open (and it is barely after 10:00!) Maybe tomorrow I'll have time/energy to write about the retreat because I really think it is important to have that in my "journal" to reflect on at a later date. I'm glad that I had that "thanksgiving" retreat yesterday, because days like today still happen, but I have been reminded to find thinks to be grateful for, even in the midst of trials.

Today's phrase of the day was "Cancer $ucks"...it's actually been a rough few weeks on my floor with new diagnoses, palliative care, poor prognosis, and today it brought an amazing teenager to death. Sometimes people will say that being a pediatric nurse would be "so fun"...and some days, it really is. Other people say they could "never do it"...likely because of days like today when you hear of a parent bringing her 2-year-old for a well-check up and coming out with a diagnosis of leukemia and the 17-year-old star football player diagnosed with cancer 9 months ago who died today even after fighting it with all he had.

Yep, today was just one of them days...one of those days that makes me grateful for my health and the health of my family, thankful to have been given a "gift" to be able care for these patients/families even when it's incredibly sad, grateful for the love and support of my family and friends (and co-workers), thankful for the memories we have of these children who leave this world way too soon...

Yes, being a pediatric nurse can be fun and extremely rewarding...and sometimes, it's really sad too.

Good night.

After I posted this last night, I found out that a friend was diagnosed with endometrial cancer. She's the same age as me (and single without kids) and will (likely) undergo a total hysterectomy and possibly chemo. This came as I was reminded earlier in the day that my PCOS puts me at increased risk of endometrial cancer. While I'm not as "shell shocked" as her, I'm sure, I'm still stunned and numb because I can't even imagine...and really, there isn't any reason to think "it couldn't happen to me", because it does happen to "people like me". So, I'm going to be calling the doctor's office back today and discussing what they were trying to tell me yesterday that I wasn't really wanting to hear. Please keep Rachel in your prayers as she looks at options and works through this "bombshell" that came when five days ago she just thought she had "really bad cramps"...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails