Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Feeling Blah

I went to bed early and slept in late, but today was just kind of "blah". I did make it to Curves this morning (the owner hit a deer at 5:30 in the morning on the way to work, so her day didn't start off that hot either), but the rest of the day was just "there". Well, I did go bet horses with my dad tonight for the first time in a long time which is always fun (especially since we won money today!), but I do just feel "off".

I had the heating people come to do a furnace check before winter hits. This year I actually bought a service plan so they will check the furnace and the a/c. While he was working, I mentioned that I only have "return" vents installed in my house, so he checked it out and then went back to look at the ducts. He called his boss to come over and look at things. Well, come to find out, the ducts are all installed improperly and so hardly any heat was getting upstairs (I have a raised ranch). Basically, the only heat I get comes from it "rising" from the basement aside from a little bit that comes out of the kitchen and a tiny bit into the other rooms. My furnace was running nearly 200 degrees and barely heating anything (the one they installed is also 3 times more "power" than one needed for a house my size, so I'm lucky it didn't overheat!) They are coming tomorrow to cut some holes in the duct work to create a way for air flow to come upstairs. However, it will cost over $3000 to make it so the air flows properly into all the rooms upstairs, maybe more depending on if it ruins floors, drywall etc. I suppose that information is enough to make feeling "blah" understandable...it's sickening, actually. My aunt called me tonight with the name of someone who can give a second opinion, but I really trust the people who came today and everything they said made sense. They said it didn't need to be fixed immediately and had me remove all the covers from the baseboard vents, but they are going to have to look at that tomorrow too because most of them just have holes to no where (good thing for no pets and no kids when there are large holes in the floor!)

This afternoon, I went to a meeting at work. I'm on this big committee with lots of nurses, nurse managers and directors. Today the chief nursing officer was there talking to us. I do often participate in discussions and feel even more comfortable around the people there than those on my own floor in terms of voicing my opinion about things. Well, that was a disadvantage for me today because I made a comment (one that I don't even want to document here) that prefaced an actual good statement/opinion and I feel terrible. That was over six hours ago and I still feel sick to my stomach about it. I did email the person who ran the meeting to apologize and give her permission to apologize to anyone I offended...yeah, it was very much open mouth, insert foot, and I'm thankful we won't meet again for a while so maybe it will be forgotten...ugh!

Tomorrow is the teen's 17th birthday. I've sent her a couple of emails/messages asking if she wants to do lunch (or dinner) and also have asked her a few times about her interest in attending a hockey game on Sunday. Her last response to me was from this morning saying that she was planning to go to a movie with friends but that she would talk to her mom about dinner or coming earlier and she'd let me know tonight. I like going through her rather than her mom because it is "easier" and also because I think it should be her choice whether she "hangs out" with me or not, not her mom's. However, I'm not so sure about their communication there (hello, earth to Amanda, did you forget about the communication issue you dealt with for 16 months?! Yeah, brain fart...) So, tonight when I never heard back from the teen, I was thinking that MAYBE I should have gone straight to her/their mom to find out what their plans are for this weekend and go from there. I do need to check in with her at some point since it would be nice to see how they are doing after the loss of their family member (I know obituaries are expensive, but I never saw any mention of services in the paper which is a little odd considering their mom likes to tell me about all her wealthy relatives...) Anyway, I hung up new pictures on Sunday and have found myself missing the little one a lot more. I can't really go through the teen to get time with the little one, so eventually will need to get myself into a "calm" place with a lot of time and call her. With all of the "cancer crap" that's been going around, I haven't been emotionally in a good place and have been protecting myself from being drained any further, but it's probably time to "check in".

Well, they are coming at 8:00 to work on my "ducts", so there will be no sleeping in tomorrow! Time for bed. :) Good night.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails