Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Not Today...Apparently

When I talked to the teen on Tuesday, she thought her mom would be leaving town (to see her dad who is sick) sometime this week. I talked to the caseworker later that afternoon and she was thinking maybe Thursday. That would be Thursday as in "today". I asked both of them to keep me in the loop so I can prepare, but said I will also be as flexible as I can.

Yesterday came and went and today was heading that way, so I texted the caseworker to see if she knew anything. She said that she had no idea if/when she was still going out of town. Unfortunately, that slowed down my cleaning/organizing progress since I figured she wasn't coming today...procrastination is my middle name. But, I did wash the sheets in her room just in case and went on a much needed grocery store trip (it's only three blocks away, so she won't have to have a string cheese sandwich this time ;) ).

I'm kind of wondering if she really will come stay with me. I hope that if her mom really leaves town that this is the plan that everyone wants. However, if her mom decides not to leave town, that would be okay too. The teen did ask me to provide transportation for the her college visit/conference next Friday, so I did send her an email about that. My recommendation is that she stay here Thursday night since the conference starts at 8:30 and it is about an hour drive. In my email, I also mentioned that she is welcome here at any time for whatever reason, but the more notice I get the better so I can pick her up or make sure she has a key.


In the mean time, I'll keep on keeping on...and know that I'll see her next Friday, if not before :) I'm so thankful that she and her mom are willing to allow our relationship to continue. I think this arrangement benefits all of us.

I'd better get back to cleaning/organizing (or maybe having a snack...ha!)
Good night.

So, an hour after I post this (at 9:40 PM), I get a text from their mom saying she was trying to leave town tomorrow (if she gets her "checks") and asking if the teen can stay with me. I texted her back that I work tomorrow, so then she called me. I'm disappointed that she made a point to say that if the teen wants to do anything or go anywhere, she has to check with HER as well as me. I was looking forward to giving the teen a good deal of freedom...and maybe I'll "conveniently" forget about that part of the conversation ;) She went on and on about the amazing relationship the little one has with her aunt (one reason that I'm really glad that this case didn't go to termination...it could have been ugly and I likely wouldn't have ended up with the kids anyway and at least now their mom lets me see them). I am very thankful that I am able to carry on a conversation with someone I don't really trust and also don't have a lot of respect for without her knowing any different :)  I'm definitely looking forward to a week of one-on-one with the teen...starting tomorrow!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails