Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

My 3 P's

My friend Tammy posted a question her blog today about three P'sPassion, Purpose, and Plan.

It was good timing since I saw my therapist today and kind of talked about these things (and have been talking about these things for the 2+ years I've been seeing her!)

My Passion is caring for children and their families. (I like other people too, but my passion is children ;) I don't remember a time when I wasn't taking care of little ones. I remember going to parties and gravitating toward whatever little one was in the room, often rather than socialize with my peers. I always wanted to be where the kids were and knew from early on that taking care of kids would be my career. I decided to become a pediatric nurse early on in high school and never looked back. I know I am blessed that my passion fits right into something that pays the bills :)

I think my Purpose fits right in with my passion, but has been more of a struggle for me to see since my "life choices" have been questioned a time or two. I believe that my purpose is to make a difference in the lives of each and every person placed in my path. Whether it be the patient in the bed (or the crib) or the parents caring for their sick child. Whether it is the foster child placed in my home or the parent working to have the child returned to him/her. Whether I am called to be the listening ear, the cheerleader, or the advocate for their needs. My purpose is my presence because (in these circumstances, not all), I (most of the time) have the gifts of patience, tolerance, empathy, and understanding of people to meet them where they are.

So, my Plan is to continue taking the opportunities given to me to make a difference in the lives of children and their families. I love my job at the hospital, even with the politics, negativity, and occasional apathy among my co-workers because my purpose is to take care of the kids...because it is not just my job, it is my passion. I am also planning to be open to having another foster child (or children) placed in my home next year. I plan to maintain a positive, nurturing relationship with my former foster children (and any future-former foster children) and their families.

It has taken many tears (and prayers and therapy sessions) to come to the realization that I really am doing exactly what I am called to do at this time in my life. Even though this "plan" may not be the "plan" that others would have chosen for me (or even the plan I thought I wanted), I am enjoying the opportunity to live my passion, my purpose, and believe that it is God's plan for me too.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails