The teen and I left bright and early this morning for the 60 mile drive down the road for her leadership conference. It was about time for me to leave her on the stairs after registration to part ways and she kind of freaked out. Not like a huge freak out, but she definitely looked frightened and said "I'm not so sure about this now...I'm the only one here from my school..." I told her she would be fine, to talk to people, and learn something.
Then, I found a place in the student union to park my computer and a book (after getting a guest login to their wifi--it would have been a LONG day without that!) I had my back to the room and was facing the window, so didn't see enough people to determine whether sitting in the student union of a university made me feel "old" or "young".
My aunt lives in the city where the university is and was able to pick me up for lunch which was nice to break-up my day (the conference was scheduled to go from 8:30 until 2 or 3). I hadn't seen her for a long time and it was really nice to have a one-on-one chat. I found a different place in the union after lunch and was able to keep myself pretty entertained while I waited (thank you lap top and wifi!)
I'm not a fan of driving and it was really hard to stay awake during the drive home (I wonder if my parents took me for car rides to make me sleep when I was little because it sure does the trick now...or at least tries to!) I was going to take a nap when I got home, but had to cook dinner, then had some phone calls/texts and never got my nap.
The teen decided she wanted to go to a movie with her guy friend she met on twitter that she'd never met in person (yes, she really is my daughter!) I reminded her that I trusted her (and she assured me that her mom wouldn't kill me for letting her do this) and if she went anywhere besides the movie theater and the ice cream shop next door, she HAD to let me know.
After dinner, I dropped her off, then went to a high school football game where my Senior cousin is a cheerleader since it was the State semi-finals. My aunt (a different one, still my mom's sister though making that three sisters I had one-on-ones with during the past three weeks!) was there and I think glad that I could come. I only stayed until half-time since I had to go pick up the teen...all of this was another hour and half of driving.
So, this person who hates to drive, drove 3 1/2 hours today...add that to the working and being on the go on the couple of days I didn't work, no wonder I'm so tired!
It's been really fun having the teen here this week, even though I've ALMOST been too busy to enjoy it (but not really since it's her presence that I missed the most!) She doesn't know her mom's address, so she kept my information on the form at the university. Her aunt accidentally called my house looking for her older brother, but she didn't have the number to call her aunt back. She hasn't talked to any of her siblings this week and neither of us know when her mom is coming back/how long she is going to stay with me. I told her she can stay how ever long she wants, so we'll see :)
Well, apparently there is no chance that I'll be able to sleep in tomorrow, so I'd better head to bed.
Good night.
No comments:
Post a Comment