Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A Day of Leisure

Not to be confused with "Just Chillin' (Again)", "Taking it Easy", "Relaxing Day", or "Whole Lotta Nothing" although the stories on those days could be "strangely" similar to that which occured today! That's pretty much what I do...work, or pretty much nothing at all. To be clear, I am SO thankful for my "days of rest" because lots of times I do work hard when I'm at work, physically and emotionally. I'm not sure how I would manage without having ENTIRE days with nothing planned! I need these "days of leisure", but sometimes I think I need to get a hobby (and then sometimes I just want to stay at home...hmm, that sounds like yesterday's post "Hard to Please"!) (I started writing this late this afternoon after I had done a few things around the house, but took LOTS of breaks on the couch. Since then, I got to work and actually feel very good about what I have accomplished! I am working on a baby gift for my friend and am about half done. I plan to post pictures of it when I am finished.)

I saw this clip on another blog. I thought it was great and decided to post it as well.



My softball season is now over. We didn't get to play tonight because we did not have enough players. It is sad that we didn't get another chance to win, or a chance to say "good-bye" to the season as a team, but it was nice to have the night off!

I am hoping the Olympics don't go too late tonight! I stayed up rather late again last night and it was hard to get up (and so I didn't until after 9:00!). Tomorrow I finally get to work a bonus shift! I am excited about that, especially since I am working on my vacation plans. It will be nice to have that little extra money, even though I am sure more than a little will be taken out in taxes! I will be working in the PICU rather than my floor, so it could be interesting, but I know quite a few patients who are there right now. Hopefully there are nice nurses working tomorrow (most of them are, but even on my floor, there are a couple that I would rather not have to be around for 12+ hours...).

Until tomorrow...good night :o)

1 comment:

BreathinSteven said...

Hey Lovely Lady!!!

First of all -- thanks for taking care of us "kids" -- thanks for making that a life's calling... Some of us kids grow up because of people like you -- and we remember you. You weren't "mine", but I have so many like you in my life...

I have cystic fibrosis -- possibly one of the chronic illnesses you take care of... I was diagnosed on my 13th birthday in 1973. Life expectancy in 1973 for a CF patient was 14 years. It's 2008 and I'm writing to you. Something went very, very wrong with that "expectancy"... That "something" probably had a lot to do with the care I received from people like you...

Second of all -- thank you for reposting that little video that you "borrowed" from TC/donorcycle who borrowed it from me who borrowed it from Scott at "I am. Are you?" who borrowed it from someone else... I too thought it was pretty cool...

Third of all -- thank you for all of the "donate life" paraphenalia scattered about your blog page... It's 2008 and I'm writing to you because of a precious girl from Iowa who donorcycle wrote a beautiful post titled "Legacy" about... Her name was Kari -- she's on my mind throughout the day, every single day. I can see her smile when I close my eyes... I'm alive because of her and though her lungs are wrapped snuggly around my heart -- she will never leave my heart...

And it's never, ever far from my mind that, though Kari saved my life eight years ago -- people like you, taking care of me, helped carry me to her door... So make that fourth of all and thanks...

It's funny -- your "do I have anything to say" title and your premise are fun, and I find them similar to mine... I never imagined blogging myself, but now I contribute to a blog at www.ReviveHope.com about organ donation -- one of the other contributors was a close friend of Kari's...

You keep up what you're doing -- I'm proud of you... (And I just adore TC too...)

Love,

Steve

Steve Ferkau
Chicago, IL
www.ClimbingForKari.org

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails