Well, today I got the bonus shift I have been "asking for" for about two months... I was making probably twice my regular pay, but think I earned every penny! It was not that fun of a day at all, so I'm glad that my three previous shifts were not that bad. It is just after 9:30 and I am SO tired that I'm pretty sure I'll be asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow. It is days/nights like these that I wonder how people do this when they have kids. I suppose you just do what you have to do the best you can, but I am sure it isn't easy.
Today was probably made even worse by the fact I found myself saying not very nice things more than once or twice. When I realized what I had done/said (actually I was "called out" on it by someone else!) I felt awful, but once that happens, there is nothing that can be done to take them back. I apologized to the couple people I knew were offended by what I had said, but I have no idea how many people they had shared my words with prior to that. I really was rather insensitive to the feelings of others, which isn't at ALL how I want to be. It definitely is a day I would like to forget, but I guess every day has its "teachable moments" and today had its fair share (or more).
I also took care of a kid who actually knows the kid of one someone I know. I found that out early on in the shift from the mom and thought that was pretty cool. Unfortunately, that family was the root of much of my frustruation today to the point I wasn't sure how much longer I could handle it all. Of course, the mom had to say a quiet "thank you" at the end of the shift to which I just had to smile and accept...although inside my thoughts were not at all kind. No, thank YOU for ensuring that I earned every penny today! Oh, but then I am reminded that this is a SICK kid...the mom is tired and anxious and scared and hurting because her child is hurting and all those other things that I give other people the benefit of the doubt about all the time... But it was SO frustruating it seemed like that mom was working against progress the entire day. I ended up having to leave quite a bit of work for the next shfit because of the way things went, and that is not a good way to leave, especially when you are not coming back tomorrow to clean up the next mess!
Okay, I suppose that is enough venting for today...it isn't getting any earlier and I am not getting any less tired. Good night.
1 comment:
Sometimes days like this one cannot be avoided and always seem to take you by surprise, testing your patience to the core. This is why you have the gift and calling to do this and not me:) I think you are doing a great job with everything you have on your plate. I hope you slept super good last night. Take care.
Love, Laurie in Ca.
Post a Comment