...craziness happened and I didn't get off for another THREE hours! The first part of the day was actually pretty great. I got my two patients back from Saturday (I had to convince another nurse to give me one of them since I didn't get to work until nearly 7). Since I had sort of a routine down, we were able to have some fun. I LOVE those days! I had a nice visit with one of the moms about her daughter. I let her know that she has done a FABULOUS job in raising a great kid. This "pre-teen" has multiple issues that make her very different from other kids. She handles them in such a way that her parents MUST have done a great job with her from the very beginning. I enjoyed hearing how they have made it through the struggles of dealing with a chronically ill child, especially when faced with the middle school years that are tough enough. I spent many moments of the day teasing the parents of my other patient. They were totally cracking me up and have maintained a good sense of humor even after all they have gone through with their child.
This is what I love about my job. These moments--they are what keep me going even when the going gets rough. And rough they went this afternoon.
One of my friends works with a consulting service and I hadn't seen her in a couple weeks. I was SO happy to see her! But then, she said something about the "prognosis" of a patient that led me to fighting tears the rest of the day. I had no idea (I know people can be wrong, because it is all in God's hands, but the thought that this child wouldn't make it had NEVER crossed my mind). I'm afraid this could be a tough one if she ends up being correct due to details that I probably should leave . The thought makes me sick to my stomach and brings tears to my eyes. Right after I heard that, I had to start chemo on my new patient (twice in three days after not doing that for probably over a year...gee, thanks!). Then, one of my other patients started having issues that needed to be tended to promptly, I received a phone call from a physician that nearly sent me on a wild goose chase...yep, I LOVE my job!
I am blessed to have such wonderful co-workers. When all heck broke loose, I had no less than FOUR people working to help me get back on track. I was trying not to cry and there were people all around me asking what they could do. Wow!
My parents saved some supper for me, so I ate and watched the Olympics with them and their Japanese student. I think she is enjoying her time here.
Well, it's late and I have a meeting at 9, so I should get ready for bed. Good night.
No comments:
Post a Comment