Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

I LOVE MY MOM!!



I had to work today, but it was a good day. I got done a little early, so got to spend a couple hours with my mom after I got off. She and my dad ate dinner with my sister and brother-in-law, but my dad "re-cooked" the steak and made potatoes for me to eat while I had a glass of wine with my mom. She and I had a nice visit (including about 45 minutes IN the front doorway after she told me she wanted to go to bed early...I SWEAR she was the one doing the talking!). She nearly cried when she opened my card...turns out she bought the exact same one for HER mom! I'm glad I was able to spend time with her...even though I was a little disappointed that I was going to be served "left-overs" because she ate dinner with my sister earlier, but it all worked out (MY food may have even been better than theirs!)!


Posted by Picasa

As soon as I got home from my mom and dad's house, one of my aunts called me. She was my "mom" when I was in college, so we have a special relationship (although, I haven't been the GREATEST at keeping in touch!). I sent her a card and she was calling to thank me. She is coming to town next week, so hopefully I will be able to spend some time with her.

Today I actually went down and saw my friend's baby in the PICU. Last week she kind of hinted that it was "okay" for me to come visit. The timing was right today, so I decided to do it. (I am not a big fan of seeing kids on ventilators, and even less of a fan of some of the people who work in the PICU...that combination, along with the fact that I tend to not place myself in uncomfortable situations...I haven't actually SEEN him since before transplant.) I'm glad I "sucked it up" and did it, especially because I think my friend wanted me to. He actually looked better than I expected. He looked really peaceful, and comfortable, and it wasn't obvious that a machine was breathing for him. (That could be one of my "issues" with ventilators...some of the kids I have seen on them were not getting better and it was clear the machines were doing what their bodies were not able to do...and would not be able to do again.) He had a high fever today, but was doing better this afternoon. Not exactly what she "planned" for her mother's day, but he is here, and that is a gift in itself (and, she was able to take a nap this afternoon...EVERY day, ESPECIALLY Mother's Day should include a nap!).

Praying today for lots of things--thanksgiving that God gave me an AMAZING mother, and many other wonderful women in my life who are like mothers to me; for moms who are missing their children; for children who do not realize how important their mothers are; for women who are unable to have children...all sorts of prayers lifted up today.

Well, it's late and I work again tomorrow...we have a LOT of "open beds" and tomorrow is Monday, so it could be a crazy day! Good night!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Hey!! Just catching up on your blog. Our computers have been up and down, and I keep losing my bookmarks! I finally got smart and made a Word document with all of them in it so that I don't lose them. Sheesh!

I'm so glad that you are able to help your friend out with dinners, etc. You were so awesome to us when we were in Omaha; my mom still talks about you all the time!

You've had a lot going on! Yikes! You sure keep busy - I think I need a nap just from reading your blog!

So now that I won't lose your blog address again, I'll start commenting more often! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails