Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Thursday, May 22, 2008

A Year of Blogging

One year ago today, I "bit the bullet", "pulled the trigger", "took a giant leap", I wish I could think of more!, and started a blog. I called myself "Just Me" since I wasn't sure how open I wanted it to be. I thought it should sort of be "anonymous" because of the nature of my work and privacy laws and left things pretty vague (although I am sure if someone wanted to find me, it would not be very hard with a little bit of computer skills!). I titled it "Do I have anything to say?" because I wasn't sure what I would write about, or if anyone would ever read it. I still like that title. I also like what I wrote as my description--"This is my attempt at blogging, even though I live a basically boring life and probably don't have much to say"--although these days, my life has not felt very boring! However, I have decided not to change my layout or those words because that is how it all began.

Here is my first post:
Tuesday, May 22, 2007
The first one
Okay, so in the past five months, I have opened a myspace account, a facebook account, and now a blog. No wonder I have gained 12 pounds! I haven't quite figured out myspace or facebook, but read a lot of blogs and it looks like something I can do. Of course, I am not really sure I have anything interesting to say, or if anyone would really care, but figure it was worth a try. Anyway, this is the first one. So far so good.


A year has passed...
I'm still carrying around those 12 pounds, haven't checked my "myspace" in months, and only rarely use my "facebook". So, blogging seems to fit my "needs" (meaning, I can journal my thoughts without worrying about who may read them and what they think...unfortunately, that is not the case for a lot of "bloggers", but so far this is working for me!). I read even more "blogs" now than I did them (and have become a little bit "braver" in leaving occasional comments!). I get a couple "hits" a day now instead of a couple a month, and I'm okay with not having hundreds or thousands of daily visitors! I have a couple of "regular" visitors who leave me encouraging comments (thanks Laurie and Marcie!). I have laughed, I have cried. I have had fun and exciting times, and difficult and discouraging times. I gained a brother-in-law, new friends, new perspectives on life, and created memories (among other things, I am sure!) I have lost a few things too, but this is celebration time! I write a lot longer posts now too!

A year of blogging...when I started this blog, I wasn't sure what I would write about, or how long I would write. Journaling (or keeping a diary) has always been important to me. Having a new venue in which to journal has been fun for me, and often times very helpful.

Here's to another year of blogging! I still have not opened up this journal to many people I actually know. I think I will keep it that way because right now I can write whatever is on my mind without worrying about offending anyone close to me. I am free to be myself, "just me", on the good days and the bad days; when I am happy, angry, upset, frustruated, annoyed; when I just need to "vent", or when I want to write something down so I will not forget it.
____________________________
I am almost done painting! I finished the second coat, but need to take off the tape and do any touch-ups. Then, I need to get everything organized. When it is "finished" (I'm sure I'll eventually want to do the trim or add some furniture or decorations or something!), I will make a slide show of the before and after.

I went to dinner with a friend, then brought my other friend to Target and the grocery store (I was already going and asked if she wanted to come along for the ride). The baby is back on dialysis since his kidneys aren't fully "awake" yet, but she got to hold him and he remains off the ventilator. As sick as he was, baby steps are okay (but it will be SO great when he is well enough to come to my floor and then to my house!).

Back to work tomorrow. My entire body hurts (probably a combination of softball and painting), so I need to take some medicine and go to bed. My birthday is five months from today (so, I figured out that I turn "thirty" in "seventeen months"...not that I'm counting down or anything, it is just a calculation!). Good night!

1 comment:

Laurie in Ca. said...

Happy One Year Blogging Birthday!!

I hope you have a good weekend and it sounds like the basement is moving right along. I love getting to the taking tape off stage and putting the room back together. I think you have been doing such a great job and you do get a lot of things done weekly. You are a busy girl as you bless others. You are getting brave as I have seen you "out and about" a little more these days. I enjoy reading the things you write here and I think you have created a wonderful journal for your future references. It's all good Amanda. I am proud of you and am glad you are one of my "cyber friends".

Love, Laurie in Ca.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails