Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Feeling the Burn

This morning, when my alarm went off, I SO didn't want to get up! Even though I went to bed relatively early by my usual standards, the morning still came early. I had sort of hoped that it would have been my turn to get offered the day off...and halfway held my breath that SOMEONE would get to go home early if we weren't busy and that it would be ME. I was slow to get ready, but wasn't in that much of a rush, knowing that I probably would not be given a choice of patients anyway (because of who else was working).

I did actually get one of the three patients I had on Friday. Of course, it was one that was physically and emotionally draining due to the situation and his particular needs (but REALLY nice family!). I also was given another patient I knew, who has a pretty "intense" family who can be pretty "draining" as well (again, VERY nice, but require some extra energy). Yeah, thanks (of course, I ALWAYS tell myself that I do not "care" because who I get is who I'm "supposed" to get, but sometimes I have to think "come ON" people!)! So...who got the first and only admission of the shift?! Yep, that would be me. I will say that two nurses really "stepped up" and helped with the initial process, paperwork, and getting the patient settled which I REALLY appreciated. However, the other nurse who started with two patients as well had two really easy patients and was able to write all of her personal thank yous. How does THAT work?! One of the other nurses was really busy too, but the rest of them were kind of "bored"...so, I USUALLY say that I love my job and the people there, but today was kind of annoying. I suppose that I didn't really ask for specific help, but most of the "busy stuff" wasn't anything anyone could have done for me...it just would have been nice not to have that "third" patient especially when I knew others were sitting around doing nothing.

Of course, my legs and rear end were pretty sore from the race too, so I moved a little slower than usual! It was kind of a nice feeling, though, knowing what I did to make those muscles work! Tonight my back is also sore from all the physical work I had to do with my one patient, but I suppose that too has its "rewards".

Feeling the burn...from my co-workers, and from my race...I guess it isn't all bad! Each day is a gift, each day brings new experiences to discover more about myself, and others, and life in general. I thank God for today...even though I spent a bit of time being annoyed with the people around me! I think the "Quote of the Day" for today is kind of interesting--"When you blame others, you give up your power to change." ~Robert Anthony

Good night. I'm off tomorrow--yay! (Another reason I didn't complain TOO much today...I tell myself that I can take care of pretty much anyone for ONE day in a row!)

1 comment:

Marcie said...

Way to go with your race! Feel that burn! I'm sure it feels great to have accomplished your goal. I appreciate your attitude about each day being a gift. We all need reminding of that at times, I think. At least, I do.

Enjoy your day off!
Marcie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails