Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Friday, May 23, 2008

I was given the chance

to stay in bed and have the day off work. Oh it was definitely tempting to say yes. However, after the three days "off" I just had, I decided that going to work for 12 1/2 hours would slow me down! I felt like I had been running here, there, and everywhere seeing how much I could really pack into one day. I kind of thought that going to work would be a nice break! :o) (I also was hoping that saying "no" today would mean that tomorrow it would be my turn, but that is not going to happen...darn!)

I did have a good day at work. I got one admission (the lead nurse helped me a LOT with that one) and sent one kid home. One kid I had the whole day and he wasn't NEARLY as busy as he was when I had him last weekend. At lunch time, my manager asked me if I had taken care of a particular patient last Saturday. I was thinking "oh great, what did that family have to say about me?!" (especially since I was none too thrilled about THEM in the morning, although things did get a bit better as the day progressed). She told me that they had some kind of meeting with lots of people (maybe about some "issues"...I'm not sure) and my name came up...as a nurse they really liked when they were on my floor...really?! That mom said what?! Well, I guess that goes to show that you never know who is watching, and who is going to find out, so you should always be on your "best behavior"! I am VERY glad that she didn't realize how TRULY annoyed I was with her (or how many times I complained about her to anyone who would listen!). That is a good thing for my manager to hear since our annual evaluation time is just around the corner :o) Also, I think that it shows good management to inform an employee about compliments that are made, especially when they are made publicly.

So, I'm definitely thankful that I didn't end up regretting my decision to go to work! It was a good day, I got paid, I took a break from all the stuff I have to deal with at my house; I didn't have to make excuses for not getting everything done because "I had to work a 12-hour-shift" is sufficient :o)

I did cook dinner (and lunch for me and my friend) when I got home. My back and shoulders are still sore, so I think I'll take some drugs and go to bed "early". Good night!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails