Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Sunday, May 18, 2008

2/3 Done

Today was a LOT better than yesterday! Thank goodness because I'm not sure WHAT I would have done--I am sure I would not have been a "happy camper" and probably pretty crabby! I think I fell asleep before 10:30 which I am sure helped things. I still had to do every hour on the hour dressing changes, but I just had one other patient until 5:00 and the nursing assistants helped me A LOT! Two down, one to go...tomorrow is MONDAY, but I'm hoping that the craziness of the day will not affect me :o) (I WON'T let it affect me...I suppose that's a better way to think about it!)

Today was not such a great day for the baby. Around 4:30, one of the other nurses pointed to his name on the census and said "this kid isn't doing very well...there are a LOT of doctors in there". I quickly ran to get my phone to see if my friend had left me a message. We "texted" back and forth for a little while and then I went to see her after I got off. It sounds like he is more stable now, but he is back on the ventilator. Now I'm really glad I got to see him yesterday when he was happy. My friend is doing okay. Of course, she had to deal with some "drama" at home today too (but realized that she can't REALLY deal with them, or worry about them...I love how people can do that!). I'm glad I wasn't as tired as I was last night so was able to spend a little time "chatting" without feeling like I was going to fall over from exhaustion. I cooked a HUGE dinner so I can bring "leftovers" for us to eat for lunch tomorrow. Today the nurses on my floor ordered Chinese. I split my meal with her (and got an additional soup for her...I "double checked" to make sure the person picking up the food was "okay" with that...remember that whole "mean people suck" issue from a few months ago?!) which worked out great because this restaurant gives you SO much food and I would have been tempted to eat more than my share.

Alright, I've set myself up to be able to go to bed "early" again tonight...now, if I can only get myself there (I'm actually having a second helping of dinner and trying to catch up on my TV watching, so not sure how that will work out...). Good night.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails