Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Monday, May 17, 2010

About a Boy

Two days from now, I am meeting "a boy" for lunch. I do not have a good track record with the whole "dating thing". In college, I dated a friend-turned-boyfriend for a few months which ended very ugly (he married a girl who was in my group of girl-friends...seriously). I "hung out" with another guy a number of times a few years back, but didn't realize we were "dating" until we stopped hanging out and I found out he was completely heartbroken when I stopped calling (um, yeah, not returning phone calls is not nice, that's what I did). Since then, I have gone on a few "first dates". It is a running joke with a friend and me that I am the "one date wonder"...

I searched through old posts to see if I have written about this in the past. I found one from "way back" in November 2007. To tell you the truth, I had to read that post quite a few times to remember what guy it was...since, there was no second date. The guy I wrote about in this post back in July was the same one I wrote about here in August...we did go on the "double date" but only met up for a "date" once and I don't think I heard from him again. I never ended up meeting up with "the floor guy" I mentioned in this post and this one (that post actually mentioned both of those guys) because he kinda creeped me out in a yahoo chat we had. Oh, me and my "non-dates"...memories of last fall and the emotional mess that I was...

Anyway, that's probably enough "links" for one post to get the idea that dating and me don't get along very well...or at least we haven't in the past. However, I'm trying not to "freak out" about this one which is why I have hardly mentioned it here (if I have even mentioned it at all!) I actually told a friend tonight and told my cousin last week, but haven't really said anything to anyone else with hopes of keeping my anxiety in check...

Here's what I know about this guy--his name, his age, that he works with someone from my church, and that "he only dates Catholic girls". Apparently, he was at my church on Ash Wednesday, so he has seen me (I was talking to someone else and didn't notice him...I'm obviously not very observant!) So, I think I'm at a little bit of a disadvantage because he knows what I look like and I have no clue...we may need to discuss this "problem" prior to me making a fool of myself at the restaurant looking for him! We are "doing lunch" because that will have an "end time" in case we need one. I am obviously off that day, but he will be coming during his lunch break. Since I don't exactly know what he does, I don't know how he will be dressed. The restaurant he picked is a little on the fancier side (when I looked it up, the description is "Elegance by the Water"), but I don't know if I should dress up or what... It's been pretty cool here, so I know I'd be super comfortable in jeans. I don't really want to wear a dress because that seems too fancy for lunch on my day off. The friend I talked to this evening said I should wear a skirt. I have only worn this skirt once and I wore it with a white shirt and white sandals (but I think I like the flip-flops). It was pretty comfortable and the shirt I have doesn't tuck in, so it hides my belly as best as it can (considering what it has to work with). I also have a khaki skirt that I could wear with a 3/4 length sleeved shirt and some black sandals...or, I could wear khaki capris...



I guess it's good that my "anxiety" right now is about what to wear and how to find him...I have done my share of the "what if" thinking that takes me 40 years down the road...yeah, I do that kind of stuff even though I try not to...and I am trying REALLY hard to just go and have fun and see what happens. Could this be the time my "one date wonder" streak gets broken?! Oh yeah, I'm not supposed to "go there"!

Anyway, that's the "big excitement" of my week...oh, besides the fact that I played softball for my dad's high school team tonight because only four girls showed up. He borrowed players from the other team and then I played...I don't think the girls on the other team realized that I was "super old"...it cracks me up that I'm 30 and look like I'm in high school! Tomorrow night, my team plays at 9:30...I don't like the late games =(

I made more progress on my cleaning and actually think I can walk into my "junk room" without tip-toeing! Tomorrow I need to do more of that and would also like to read more of the Bloom book since I'm still back on chapter two. I want to have more of it done before I meet with my spiritual director tomorrow afternoon.

This post was on the (In)Courage page today and I thought it was FABULOUS. She spoke words about "blog friends" that were SO true...and I am so excited that just a few days from now, I will be giving Ginger a real life hug rather than a virtual one! She wrote this: "Getting involved in the blogging world has truly changed my life – teaching me, stretching me, giving me opportunities. And introducing me to some of the most amazing people I never would have met otherwise." So true, so true...

Time for bed. Good night.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails