Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Thursday, May 6, 2010

That's a Tough One

I've been contemplating using the blog title "The Other Shoe" for a while now and write about my "wondering" on if I'm going to experience the other shoe dropping since my life thus far has been relatively "smooth sailing". I actually linked to a blog post today with reference to this song which contains the lyrics "I guess we're all one phone call from our knees..." (meaning one phone call can change your life). I'm not quite at the point where I want to "go there", but I won't say that today was easy.

My floor has been over-staffed for a while, but hopefully that will change with summer vacations and maternity leave. We also have been having lots of "low-census" days. It is so hard to say that I want kids to be in the hospital, but the reality is that if there aren't kids to take care of, I don't have a job. The combination of over-staffing and low-census has meant that nurses are getting forced to stay home. It rotates through by date and people can volunteer to stay home if they want, but it is getting to the point that NO ONE is volunteering. I was forced to stay home today for at least the third time this year. With my unexpected sick day before my trip to Nashville, I'm nearly out of PTO. Our "time off bank" is for sick days, vacation days, and call-off days. Since I work 12-hour shifts, it gets wiped out pretty quickly. Even before having to use 12-hours of PTO today, I thought it was going to be pretty close hours-wise in getting my next vacation paid. After today, I'm fairly certain that at least a portion of my vacation (a combination of my trip to see Ginger and an out-of-town family wedding) will be unpaid. And, there is no guarantee that I won't be forced to stay at home again during the time between now and then...

I never imagined that I would have trouble getting hours when I became a nurse eight years ago. I do know that I am VERY fortunate to have a job in this economy, but I never really thought it would affect me in the health care industry. Now, I'm not writing this because I want sympathy (or money...ha!) but because it has put me in a tough place. Had I not had my credit card account shut down temporarily (and currently) while they figure out some fraudulent charges, my money would already be helping the people in Nashville (here's one place accepting donations). I love using my money to do things for other people--whether it be gift cards, care packages, donations for my floor, gifts for my patients, presents for my nephew, or something else, I just LOVE brightening someone else's day. While I know that there are gifts money can't buy, money DOES buy some pretty nice gifts :) I've been so sad looking at all the pictures of the flooding and wanting SO badly to DO something. Typically, I wouldn't have thought twice, but it is going to take some extra prayers to decide what I am "supposed" to do (it's highly likely I'll end up sending some amount of money, but I'm going to have to do some more thinking and praying).

Because I unexpectedly got the day off work, I was able to spend the day at the zoo with my sister and nephew. Now, that did make me forget about my "money situation" for a while and we had a great time. I also was able to go to dinner with my parents and my sister's family (they were going to bring me food, but it was great to actually be there!) Actually, all of the times that I have been "forced" to stay home from work, it has provided an opportunity for me to do something else that I wanted/needed to do...so, I really shouldn't complain THAT much!





Another tough situation I had today was in regards to my foster parents status. I don't think I mentioned that I got a call while I was on vacation. I didn't get it until I got home, but I would have had my "choice" of three little ones (under age 5) that they were willing to split. When I called the case worker back, I mentioned that I would be out-of-town over Memorial Day weekend. She suggested that I wait to take a child until after that because it would be hard to get respite care over the holiday (unless, of course, it was a situation where the child wouldn't be in my care for that long). However, a different case worker called me with another thirteen-year-old girl. She gave me some information and it sounded like it "potentially" could work...except for the fact that her school is way across town, I work 12-hour shifts, 13-year-olds can't go to day care, and I'm going out-of-town at the end of the month. So, I politely declined. She called me back a few hours later to let me know that they still hadn't found placement but that it sounded like they were willing to help with transportation. I still wasn't sure because leaving a 13-year-old foster girl at home alone for hours at a time didn't sound like a great idea (especially starting TOMORROW). I made another phone call to the caseworker who had more information about the girl. She mentioned that the girl's school had an early dismissal tomorrow and that pretty much was the FINAL deciding factor (I think I would have had to say "no" anyway). That was a tough one, though...I'm not sure middle/junior high school age is where I should start, but I'm keeping an open mind and trust that the timing will work out when it is supposed to with the right child.

Well, that was a much longer post than I anticipated, but I feel better getting it all out. I'm so used to writing a check without even giving it a second thought, and not being able to do that has been really tough. However, I know that tomorrow is another day and whatever I'm supposed to do will be clear in due time.

Oh, I almost forgot--today was Nurses' Day. My hospital celebrates all week, but since I've been gone all week, I missed out on the celebrating (I did drop off my olives and guacamole this morning). Each unit gets to nominate an "Extraordinary Nurse" every year. For two years I was the chairperson of our unit council and went to meetings three times a month. I kept thinking that one of these years, I would get nominated. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't disappointed that this year's "Extraordinary Nurse" was not me (although the nurses who WAS nominated is great!). I think that my "window" has passed and I will just have to get my "award" on a smaller scale on an individual patient basis and in my own heart :)

Okay, seriously need to go to bed...you know, since I WILL have to get up and work a 12-hour shift tomorrow :)
Good night.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails