I'm glad I came up with this "Flashback Friday" idea last night because it (maybe) will help me keep it short. The other day when I was "cleaning" my bedroom, I found a memory card for my camera. I had no idea what was on it until I went to upload pictures tonight. I decided to choose photos #10, 22, and 79 for my birth date. I was definitely hoping none of those would be terribly unflattering pictures of me that didn't get deleted! The card contained one picture from 2007 and the rest from the first six months of 2008. So, here goes:
Photo #10 is a picture of me at the beach in California February 2008. We were at Laguna Beach where I first met my girl friend when we were ten. We have remained friends since then :)
Photo #22 is a not-so-flattering-but-not-too-terrible picture of me from my cousin's birthday in March 2008. (And, apparently the first time I wrote about this, I didn't think it was THAT bad of a picture since I went ahead and posted it!)
Photo #79 is from May 2008. It is of "the baby" right after they removed him from dialysis for the first time post-transplant. I can't believe how little he is (and how sick he still looks in this picture even though he looks a TON better than he did!) because he is just five months away from being a THREE year old!
Tonight, I admitted a baby for transplant. My heart just broke for these parents who actually had never set foot on my floor before today (to my knowledge). There is lots of hustle and bustle during that pre-transplant phase with labs and tests and IVs without even taking into the account the emotional toll that "call" has to take (and all questions they have to answer for our paperwork!) Thankfully, we were able to get the things we needed to do TO the child done quickly so they were able to spend some time with the baby before the organs got there. We explained that this was part of the reason we did everything all at once (even though the poor baby OBVIOUSLY didn't like all the poking and prodding!), so I think they understood. I can't wait to see that baby in a few days after the "new parts" are working :)
Time for bed...I stayed up WAY too late to work a 12-hour shift!
Good night.
Edited to add--this was the "quote of the day": "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." ~Mohandas Gandhi
I used "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today" as the beginning quote to my college applications, but have never heard this version. I like it :)

Photo #79 is from May 2008. It is of "the baby" right after they removed him from dialysis for the first time post-transplant. I can't believe how little he is (and how sick he still looks in this picture even though he looks a TON better than he did!) because he is just five months away from being a THREE year old!
Tonight, I admitted a baby for transplant. My heart just broke for these parents who actually had never set foot on my floor before today (to my knowledge). There is lots of hustle and bustle during that pre-transplant phase with labs and tests and IVs without even taking into the account the emotional toll that "call" has to take (and all questions they have to answer for our paperwork!) Thankfully, we were able to get the things we needed to do TO the child done quickly so they were able to spend some time with the baby before the organs got there. We explained that this was part of the reason we did everything all at once (even though the poor baby OBVIOUSLY didn't like all the poking and prodding!), so I think they understood. I can't wait to see that baby in a few days after the "new parts" are working :)
Time for bed...I stayed up WAY too late to work a 12-hour shift!
Good night.
Edited to add--this was the "quote of the day": "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." ~Mohandas Gandhi
I used "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today" as the beginning quote to my college applications, but have never heard this version. I like it :)

No comments:
Post a Comment