Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Sunday, May 23, 2010

How about that?!

I really shouldn't be SURPRISED at how things seem to be "falling into place", but it's still amazing...

Nine days ago, I was SO sad about getting called off work AGAIN and wondering what I was going to do. I was trying REALLY hard to trust in God and not worry about how things were going to work out, but trust that they would. I posted this as my facebook status: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?...Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."... Matthew 6: 25, 34 )"

Then, three days ago, an amazing opportunity fell into my lap. I'm STILL counting my blessings! Honestly, I have been having to pinch myself that this is actually happening. Yesterday, I actually went to the other hospital and worked for nearly eight hours...some of which will be overtime pay...yes, OVERTIME...I can hardly believe it!

Tomorrow, I think it would be my turn to be "forced off" yet again. I worked today, but went home a little early because we only needed four nurses...there are EIGHT scheduled for tomorrow. I'm not exactly sure if the way this is being handled is "fair", but I am taking my blessings as they come and trying not to worry about "fair". There is a reason this is happening to me, and I just need to say "thank you" rather than question whether or not I deserve this.

As I was leaving (remember, it was 2 1/2 hours early), I ran into the parents of a patient who hasn't been on my floor in nearly six months. I think about them ALL the time, but don't just go down to the ICU to visit. I always "hope" that I will run into them some day, but since am rarely off the floor besides my walk in and walk out. Well sure enough, as I was about to go down the escalator, they were coming up! Seriously, how about that?! Not only that, but the mom immediately gave me a hug and sent her husband ahead. Now, I only took care of this patient for 1 1/2 shifts, so it is really special to have that kind of relationship with them. :) She and I visited for quite a while, and I shared with her this story of trusting Him and how things have worked out. She shared a similar/different story and it was just a beautiful conversation about faith, trust, and His promises (don't worry, I WILL provide...etc.) Seriously, our "chance meeting" couldn't have come at a better time because I was "dying" to share this story with someone besides the people who read this blog :) I really should try to arrange some kind of out-of-hospital meeting, especially since they have family in town and it would be fun to meet them.

Well, I suppose I should get ready for bed. This transition from not working to working kind of a lot has made me a little sleepy...ha! I can hardly believe I'm going on vacation in six days...I am SO excited!!

Good night.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails