Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

That Would Have Been "SO Cool!"

So, we have a kiddo on the floor that I have an extra special little connection with. I was hoping I would be able to "complete the circle" today, but it didn't go QUITE as I had planned. Not only was I this child's FIRST nurse at my hospital when they came to be evaluated for transplant, but I was THE nurse who was there when they arrived after receiving "the call". After months of ups and downs, and REALLY scary moments, today was to be the first time this child would be going "outpatient" after transplant (and, actually the first time out of the hospital this year!). So, I got to work early so I could make sure I was given the choice of my patient assignment. I thought it would have been "SO cool" to be the nurse who also got to give them their pass to freedom. However, there was a little communication issue with getting all the medications today (I believe we counted that there are seventeen of them!), so the discharge had to be postponed until at least tomorrow.

So, that was a bit disappointing, but it also gave me the opportunity to spend more time with this very adorable little one, and also time to see what I could do to ease some of the anxiety this mother has about leaving the comfort zone of the hospital. While they are SO grateful for the possibility of a "normal life", it is going to require a HUGE life change (at least for a little while until they create their "new normal" routine).

All in all, I cannot complain about today. It was pretty quiet for me (I actually got both of my patients back from Friday which rarely happens when you are off for one day let alone FOUR!).

Well, I suppose I should get ready for bed. I have a couple meetings in the morning, and hopefully can force myself to do some organizing in the afternoon.

Prayers to all who need them :o) Good night.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails