Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Changes at Work

Nobody can be successful unless he loves his work. ~David Sarnoff

As fabulous as my hospital is, we have been a little behind in the technology department. While the majority of hospitals in the country have been using computer documentation for years, we have still been using the "old-fashioned" pen-and-paper charting. We haven't gone completely paperless, but I suppose that is coming. This past Tuesday, the hospital went "live" with the new system. Today was my first time to work with this system.

I wasn't as nervous about this change as the nurses who didn't use computers at all when they were in school. However, change always creates challenges. I got a bit stressed out late in the day, but not completely related to the new charting issue. Overall, it wasn't a bad day. I can, however, see how Tuesday would have been a TERRIBLE day to work because that is the day they had to transition EVERYTHING from paper to the computer. There were extra people working that day, but it could NOT have been fun!

I chose to take the patient I mentioned in Monday's post. As challenging as that family is, I feel like I should try to protect them from the people who do not speak kindly of them. Not that those people wouldn't give good care, but I'm pretty sure parents can tell if the nurse doesn't really care for them. Even more sure the kid can tell. I have a pretty good connection with them, and they really trust me with the care of their child, so I took the opportunity when it was given to me this morning. They were pleased to find out I would be the nurse for the day. That always helps start the day off right!

I was too tired to do any work when I got home so did not finish my painting. I guess it will have to wait until Saturday. (I DID do a TON of messing around on facebook and possibly annoyed a few people with that...sorry!)

On this anniversary of the terrorist attacks on our country, remember all the victims, their families, and all those who have fought, and continue to fight for our freedom in your thoughts and prayers. Hard to believe it has been seven years.

Back to work tomorrow. Good night.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails