Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Fun Sunday

I love it when I have Sundays off so I can go to church. Some people like working their weekend days together, but I try to at least get one of the days off even though that means sometimes I can go months without an entire weekend off. Now that we only have to work four weekend shifts every three months it is better, but I do love my Sundays off!


I requested today off since not only was it my dad's birthday, but my church's annual festival. The past four festivals, I brought the siblings of one of my former patients. He passed away a week after last year's festival, so this was my first time without them. That made it kind of sad, but I also thought it would be fun to go without kids so I could spend time visiting with everyone. I have been attending the same church since before I started kindergarten, so I know LOTS of people! And, my dad has always been the "center of attention" as the announcer with the crazy clothes, shoes, and hats, so everyone knows me too!


I did enjoy my time visiting (and my sister ended up "borrowing" two daughters of our dad's co-worker, so I still got some "kid time" too). I worked at the "live fish" booth for an hour which was not at all what I would call "enjoyable", although I did get to see quite a few kids! My job was tying the bags after they had water and a fish in them. Not quite a "dry" or "clean" job, and my fingers were raisins even before my hour was up, so I was glad that I didn't have to stay any longer than that!


I spent quite a bit of time visiting with a girl I went to high school with. Her two daughters now attend my grade school (crazy!) and they go to my church. She was a person I knew throughout high school, became friends with during the last two or three months of high school, but then lost touch with for a while. We talked about getting together sometime. I decided to actually take some initiative and plan a "ladies night" this Wednesday with some friends from high school and a couple other girls. So, hopefully she will be able to come!


We had "family dinner" for my dad's birthday, which is always fun :o) Steak and potatoes night (it seems like we have been having that a lot, but I guess it goes with the "territory".


Well, I'm glad I got that all written...it looks like I had a really fun day. I also had some of my little "life issues" (as in, what am I supposed to be doing/am I where I am supposed to be...) which are never really fun. However, it seems like I worked through them enough to enjoy myself for now. Thank goodness I like to journal because I may need to work some of these things out in the future.


But, for now I should head to bed. Back to work tomorrow (Mondays can be crazy, so I'd better "rest up"!). Good night!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails