Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Speechless

Tonight, I was grateful that the cell phone company was able to transfer the "contacts" from my old phone to my new one. Many of those people I haven't talked to in a LONG time, or only talked to once or twice. I would have accepted a text message or phone call from someone I didn't know, but it was SO nice to know that it was THIS little boy's mom who was "texting" me.

You can read what I have written about him here .

I have been thinking about his mom, and have actually talked about her and him pretty recently. I had made a mental note to sit down one of my days off and send her a card. Her initial text message asked for my email address. I let her know in my response that I had been thinking a lot about her and wondering how she was doing. She found out today that she is two weeks pregnant, but she isn't planning to tell her family for a couple weeks... She took the time to let ME know and that just leaves me speechless. I'm not sure if that was her original "plan", but I just checked and she has not yet sent me an email. She and her husband had been trying to get pregnant for quite a while before her son passed away, so this is exciting news. This is so heartwarming to me that I am someone she chose to share this news with...sure, I was there on the worst day of her life, but I never imagined that I would be included in other events of their life. It brings tears to my eyes because it clearly show that little things can make a huge impact...special moments and memories have lasting effects...

(I wasn't going to write anything tonight because I need to fix something for lunch tomorrow, but this was too much not to have it recorded.)

Good night.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails