Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Ch-ch-changes

So...that title came to me, but I am not sure I REALLY knew this David Bowie song...ha!

Today was mostly about getting readjusted to home, but I really think I need to make some changes. I'm hoping that if I put them here, that will make me more accountable.

I really need to start looking more closely at my diet and exercise. I don't want to "commit" to a weight loss goal because I can't remember the last time I was AT the weight I would like to be. According to the BMI Calculator, I am "overweight". According to that calculator, it looks like I would need to lose four pounds to get into the "normal" range. It isn't all about weight, though, because I'm also starting to not like the way I feel in my clothes. I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do about all this (I don't have "a plan"), but I definitely would LOVE to feel better about the way I look by the time I go visit Ginger (that means I have "one month and two days" according to my countdown). She doesn't know it yet, but I'm thinking it would be fun to have her take some photographs of me. I'm not sure what I would DO with said photographs, but when I mentioned something to my aunt, she thought that would be very nice :) Anyway, losing a little bit of weight would make that experience much more pleasant (even though apparently a good photographer and a little Photoshop can do amazing things!)

The other "change" is regarding my computer. I have found that it is a huge distraction for me, and it is starting to affect other things. So, my "plan" is to actually turn my computer OFF for (at least) 60 minutes (at least on the days that I am off) and during that time, I can do "whatever". Today, I wasn't super productive during the time that my computer was "off" (I ate dinner, folded some laundry, watched some TV, and did some pre-softball game stretching). However, earlier in the day I did walk to the post office/grocery store and also mowed my lawn. Tonight, I had my first softball game (I got one hit and got out the other two times I batted; I also tagged a girl out at home...yay!) So, I did an "OK" job, but really think this will be good for me.

So, a couple of changes that should be helpful, and manageable. I had my last Dale Carnegie class and we were asked to continue with THOSE changes, so I guess "technically" I should add those changes to this post as well. My goal for the class was to be more open to conversing with my peers. Today, a "blog friend" made a comment about me being "funny". It isn't the first time that a friend, especially one who knows me from here, has commented about my sense of humor/"funny". I'm not exactly sure that any of my co-workers would use that word to describe me...I could be wrong, but I honestly don't think that would be in their "top ten words to describe Amanda". I'm just different when I'm around my co-workers, different even than I am with the parents of my patients. In some ways, I think that's okay, but in others, I think it would be better for teamwork/trust if they understood me more.

Anyway, there's where I am. I still have my cold, and now I'm planning to be sore from my first softball game at catcher. I probably should shower before I go to bed considering I mowed the lawn AND played a softball game. I haven't worked since April 18, so my 5:30 alarm and a 12-hour shift will be quite the CHANGE as well!

Good night.

1 comment:

Steph said...

Those dang computers can be so distracting...I'm contemplating taking a break from my computer too. Although, I now have the Internet on my Droid, so it comes with me wherever I go. That may be a problem :)

Seriously, you still have that cold? Good grief...that's one nasty friend!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails