Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Friday, October 30, 2009

Show Us How You Live--Halloween Costumes

So, I'm not actually going to "Mr. Linky" this to Kelly's "Show Us How You Live--Halloween Costumes" blog because that would mean that possibly hundreds of people would link to my blog. Of course, that is likely how half of my AWESOME "readers"/friends found this blog in the first place, but still...from my site meter, it still looks like sometimes people still check in on my Show Us Where You Live post about my guest room I wrote back in May. Anyway, this time I am going to participate, but not REALLY participate... I work tomorrow, so am not sure I will dress in costume, and probably will wear my scrubs with the candy corns since my two Halloween scrub tops are dirty. So, without further adieu, here's a look back at a few costumes of the past (and present).



When I was in college, I volunteered at "Boo at the Zoo" a couple times. I think I was a munchkin the year before, but this year I was obviously a "hippie". I am pretty sure this was my senior year in college making that Halloween 2001. (It would have taken too much effort to scan other pics this late in the evening and I used this one last year in this post!)



For Halloween 2006, I was some sort of "Doodlebop" cousin type thing (since I didn't exactly dress like the girl Doodlebop, but just about as crazy/maybe "creepy") I didn't have to work that day, but went to the parade and had a fun time!



Halloween 2007, I had to work the day of the parade. So, I had to wear something a bit more practical. Dora was pretty popular, and also made for a pretty easy costume to wear while also working as a nurse! It was fun and one of the people working today told me I should have been Dora because that was his favorite costume (of course, since I am "vertically challenged" the Dora costume worked extra well). I posted a couple other pictures from that year here.



Since I had just gone on a ten-day 29th birthday trip, I had to work Halloween 2008. Again, I needed a costume that was easy and practical. A lady bug worked perfectly, and I did actually start with 29 spots since there is an "old wives tale" that the number of spots is how old the lady bug is (or, maybe that is just something that was told to ME and now I know that the likelihood of that being true is slim-to-none!) I posted a couple more pictures here (and also directed people to wish Kristy a Happy Birthday...it is on Sunday, so hopefully I will post again and do that, but if not...Happy Birthday Kristy!)




This year, I decided that since I did not work on the day of the parade, I would get dressed up and go in a fun costume. I thought about being a princess or something since I had this bridesmaid dress from when my high school friend got married five years ago. However, on Wednesday when I went to the store to get gloves and a crown, I decided I also wanted a blond wig and thought I would be a beauty queen. So, I bought some ribbon and had one of the patients make me my sash yesterday. I did manage to wear heels throughout the parade which was quite a "feat" for me and my feet (my bunions are not a big fan of cute shoes!) The above picture is actually me at my sister's since I decided to go see her and my nephew (and my mom) in costume while I had it on. The picture below is me with my manager who also takes the Halloween costume thing seriously. I will admit that hers is even better than mine (hair is usually about the color of my wig!) and she had bell-bottoms that were the same color yellow--groovy!



This afternoon, I went and got a massage and then got back into costume for a party with the foster/adopted kids and their families from my agency. I talked to the new "director" (not sure of her title) and apparently she has been hearing my name since she started and feels bad it has taken so long to get me licensed. But, it is in the works and I am okay being flexible and waiting until the timing is right. There is a medical child who will need temporary care next month that they may want to request my services for. (Funny thing...a few weeks ago the mom said something to another nurse about me taking care of her kid at my house and I have never even taken care of her kid at the hospital or even met the woman, so was a tiny confused and didn't realize that it could actually be a "legit" request and not just the mom hoping someone was going to help her out!) I talked to a couple other foster moms I didn't know, and the ones that I DO know. It was a fun party and my costume was a "hit" (I picked up carnations at the store on my way so I had a bouquet of flowers instead of a wand since I broke the wand anyway...that was a fun addition to the costume!)

Well, I work tomorrow so best be headed to bed. Wishing a fun and safe Halloween to all my blog friends :o) Until next year...I may need to pull out the blond wig every once in a while since some people at work were convinced I need to "go blond"...do they not realize how much WORK that would be?!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails