Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Saturday, October 4, 2008

SO great!

Today was the "end" of a week that leaves me feeling like it was "SO great!". I have spent much of the day smiling and it just feels "SO great!" This is one of those posts that I am going to have to mark in such a way that I will be forced to remember on one of those days I do not think is at ALL "great"!

I'm not even sure where to begin (hopefully my fingers can keep up with my brain again tonight...I've already been thinking about what I want to write, so that could be "dangerous"!) I suppose a fun way would be to "link" to each day of this week (since "linking" is always fun!)

So, Sunday I spent the day in the great outdoors at the pumpkin patch. I definitely do not spend enough time outside...fresh air + Vitamin D = great way to start off a week!

Monday brought the only other day I worked this week. So, being LAZY and off work makes for a GREAT week I guess! Going into Monday with the attitude that "I can do anything for ONE day" definitely didn't hurt!

Ahh, Tuesday ...possibly the "turning point" of this week...or maybe the "beginning"?! Be Still, Listen, Chill Out, Relax, Let it Go...such "fabulous" words, such a wonderful idea, how terrific are my "blog friends" to give me these reminders?! And, starting my first Bible study...how's that for day three of a "great week"?!

Good old Hump Day , also the first day of my favorite month! October in general makes me smile, so it is NO WONDER the start of it was right smack dab in the middle of this "great week". Hanging out with my sister was SO fun! Being around a healthy child and my healthy pregnant friend were wonderful reminders that really sick people are actually NOT in the majority. Oh, and listening to my new Selah CD's...now THAT definitely has to be contributing to my happiness! You just HAVE to praise God when you hear that beautiful music (I'm pretty much thinking I could listen to Nicol's voice all day every day...she has a way of bringing tears to my eyes and joy in my heart all at the same time...of course, it DOES sound better with all the other voices together, but hers gives me chills every time.) Wednesday night while I was laying in bed, I was given an idea that helped me deal with an emotional issue I was having (possibly a "fruitful" moment from being still for a minute, but definitely appreciated).

Thursday ...well, how can you NOT have a great week when your parents make you laugh so hard you nearly wet your pants on more than one occasion?! Christian singles dot com AND the possibility of a 30 x 40 photo of myself...oh my! Plus, my friend is doing SO great and catching up with old friends makes for a special week.

And, yesterday was sort of a day of reflecting back. Where I have been, what I have become, how I have remained the same, and how I have changed. I also received an email from someone I had been worrying about letting me know she was "feeling better" and "doing ok". Hearing that was probably enough in itself to have called this week "SO great!"

Today, I barely made it to work on time since I kind of "dallied" this morning. So, I was pretty much thinking my patients would be chosen for me. However, I was determined to be okay with that, because, as I realized during some of my "stillness" this week, my life is pretty perfect and things will happen as they are supposed to. We only had 16 patients to start the day (we have 21 rooms, so this is pretty low census). I can honestly say, that if I could have chosen my three patients out of those sixteen, the three I got definitely would have been in my top five, if not the top three. So, that was a GREAT way to start off the day!! Even though I had to walk down both hallways (as I will have to do the next two days as well), it was definitely worth it. (I had mentioned needing to do something about all that food I ate this week anyway, so may as well do a little extra walking at work!). To make things even better, the parents of all three kids seemed pretty "stoked" that not only would I be their child's nurse tomorrow, but the following day as well. One of the DADS even expressed how happy he was that I was his kid's nurse (I can't exactly remember what he said, but it was pretty great...and completely unexpected coming from him.)

Well, this isn't exactly how I hoped this post would go, but it is honest and was kind of fun to write. Another something that could have come from my attempt to "be still" is the idea of happiness. I have been SO blessed in my life, and hope I have done a good job about acknowledging that here. My life has been pretty darn perfect, and there isn't really any reason to feel guilty about that. In fact, maybe it is BECAUSE God has given me so many wonderful things that I am more sensitive to those people who have had to deal with some of the most difficult things life could bring. I can be happy, and still help those who are sad. As the quotes above and to the left say, I can be the smile in the sadness, the laughter during the tears, a light in the darkness, the touch that makes the difference...wow, that is "SO great!"

Back to work tomorrow, and it is now after 11, so I'd better get to sleep. Good night.

"But may the righteous be glad and rejoice before God; may they be happy and joyful." Psalm 68:3

1 comment:

Laurie in Ca. said...

Now that sure sounds like a great week. They can be so refreshing and rejuvinating, letting you know you are doing the right things for the right reasons. And a few compliments and reminders from the ones who appreciate what you do helps too!! I hope your weekend is a good one too.

Laurie in Ca.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails