Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Friday, January 25, 2008

Passion

I LOVE BEING A NURSE!!


How wonderful it is to LOVE your job! Too often I take it for granted that I find happiness in what I do for a living. There are a lot of people who wish they HAD a job, still others who dread going to work each and every day because for one reason or another it brings them discontent. My sister, for example, works with people who are unkind, inconsiderate, and rude. I am SO blessed!

This morning, I had the opportunity to speak to a group of sophomore girls at my "alma mater" about nursing as a career. During the three sessions, we were able to convey to just over thirty girls how AWESOME nursing is. I actually didn't even do very much of the talking because there was another alum there. She has been a nurse for 23 years and is very passionate in talking about her life as a nurse. She echoed my thoughts that nursing is "in her blood" and she wouldn't go back and do something different. What she wants to be "when she grows up" is a nurse! It was inspiring to me just to sit and listen to her story, hoping that in 17 or so years, I am just as enthusiastic. She talked about the happy times and the sad times of nursing, but that making a difference at every type of "milestone" in people's lives, good or bad, is SO special. This is what I have found too, although I'm apparently not so great at separating myself from the sadness... She still keeps in touch with the mom of a kid who died about 12 years ago, and remembers kids who have died. I know that I have made an impact on many lives, and that makes me feel WONDERFUL. Even in the sad times, I learn something. One of the surgeons I work with said at a memorial service for one of our patients "each of these kids has something to teach us" and I believe that. I have learned from the ones who fought hard and lived, and from the ones who fought hard on earth and now live in heaven. I learn from the parents, and I learn from the kids.

The girls listened VERY well and had some good questions for us. It was a very special morning, and I left feeling inspired, and ready to go back to work (okay, not REALLY, I came home and took a nap, but refreshed and ready to make a difference when I go back on Sunday).
______
My dad's "passion" is coaching. He'd probably say junior high girls are his specialty (but NOT in a "creepy" way!!). He currently coaches two 8th grade girls basketball teams at my former grade school. One is the "A" team and they are "okay", the other is a "B" team and he believes they are the worst team he has every coached, talent-wise. However, he has a way about him that the girls WANT to try hard (which, if you know 12-14-year-old girls, listening to adults is not their forte!). His girls ALWAYS have fun. Fortuntately, most of the parents are okay with that, and don't worry QUITE as much about winning! I get to go and be the scorekeeper on days I am off, which is fun. In the summers, he coaches slow pitch softball, and I get to coach a base when I'm off :o) Hanging out with dad--good times!

So, I'm off to an 8th grade girls basketball game. What a social life I have (I'm SURE it will get even better if I have kids!). Tomorrow, though, I get to go to a movie premier and am excited about that!

Again, I LOVE BEING A NURSE (I'll have to create a link so I remember this when I'm having one of "those days"!).

11:35 PM Edited to add: Dad's team won 45-30 and played really well :o) Mom decided that she REALLY needed to talk some things out and spent nearly 2 hours discussing some of HER "issues". I actually think I did a good job of just listening and didn't add any comments about MY "issues". Gotta love parent time...I know I do anyway! Good night.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails