Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Still My Boss

In the days leading up to this trip to Canada with my manager, I have been telling myself that I MUST remember that she is still my boss. No matter what happens, that fact will remain. I reminded myself that she does not need to know everything. She doesn't need to know all that is going on in the unit. She doesn't need to know all that is going on in my life. She is an awesome manager and a terrific person, however, she is still my boss. Fortunately for me, the "whatever happens in Montreal stays in Montreal" is more of an issue for her than me because she is "the boss" (and also drinks to the point of getting drunk WAY more often than I do!)

She is terribly afraid to fly, so it was the quietest I have EVER seen her. I did talk to her some on the plane about work, and about how my counseling was going. I think that I did enough talking about that, but may still need to remind myself in the coming days that she is my manager, and really, doesn't need to know much more.

We had our share of entertainment as both of us experienced our first "international travel". She was going to have me take a picture of all this crazy long line that looked like herds of cattle...too bad I didn't because that was the customs line and shortly there after we found ourselves in that line.

We got a taxi to come to the hotel and got here around 4:30 local time (she picked me up at 7:30 my time). We got "freshened up", checked into the conference and met up with the rest of the group from my hospital. I think there may be 12 of us here from there. I had two glasses of wine at the welcome reception and the room was spinning since it has been a (little) while since I drank, and had been a while since we ate.

So, off we went for dinner because I couldn't handle the room spinning...well, it wasn't so much about me, but I definitely needed food. We went to a really cool Irish Pub with a cute waiter named Christian (and another cute waiter named Kevin). I had a cider (not exactly Woodchuck, but it was good) and then Christian picked out some kind of shot that had maple whiskey. Boy was that tasty! By this point, I was still "feeling it" but no where near the way some of the rest of the group was! Christian gave me a nice little kiss on the cheek before we left (aww...ha ha!) and I did get pictures from the night that apparently I will have to post later since that doesn't seem to want to work right now!

We went to another bar after that and talked to MORE cute guys (what is this with finding cute single boys when I'm drunk and having issues with hanging out with single boys when I'm NOT drunk?! Maybe the company and the fact that everyone else I was with is married, but still having fun with the cute boys in the bar willing to buy us shots). I mostly talked to this guy John (with some of the other girls...not one-on-one...that isn't easy for me even when drunk!) This guy Paul bought a couple rounds of shots and I think the one I had was called a Polar Bear or something and it was minty and I had two. I took a really cool self-portrait of myself taking a shot that is rather impressive if I do say so myself.

It is just after 1:00 local time and I am wishing I had ibuprofen or something because the opening ceremonies are at 8 with breakfast prior to that. I did take a shower tonight so it wouldn't take as long to get ready. Needless to say, I did not do my 30-day Shred DVD, although I did bring it with me.

I left with a couple girls (love how I call these people girls when some how I am the youngest one!) WAY before the others, but am a little surprised my manager has not yet found her way back to the hotel room. I know that I need my sleep, and also know that I intend to get something out of this conference which will not be possible if I don't get that sleep (I tend to fall asleep VERY easily in lectures!)

So, no pictures tonight, but they will come. I am having a fun time, but am going to continue to remind myself that she is still my boss, no matter what.

I am excited about tomorrow...after I get some sleep! I may even go to a hockey game and think that would be AWESOME!

Good night from Canada...it is REALLY weird not having my phone and I TOTALLY wanted to text Ginger when the Pens game was on in the Pub, but couldn't (I also tried to get one of the glasses, but Christian gave away three of their glasses to our group and wasn't willing to give any more than that tonight)! I also thought it would be fun to send twitter pictures multiple times, but again not worth the extra $!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails