Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Drippy, Sneezy, Cough-y

As someone who "never gets sick", these symptoms have been rather annoying. I think the "drippiness" started last week, if not even earlier. I actually nearly "tweeted" one day that I was trying to convince myself that an occasionally drippy nose was MUCH less annoying than a full-blown cold. While I did NOT actually "tweet" that, I do actually still believe that to be true...even though the "drippiness" is a bit more frequent now and also accompanied by sneezing and coughing. By early afternoon at work yesterday, my head was starting to hurt and I was overcome with fatigue. The end of my twelve+ hours couldn't come soon enough (I did have nice patients which was a blessing for sure and did get out pretty much on time.) I quickly made some macaroni and cheese and watched my DVR of Medium as my head continued to throb. I was in bed by 10:00 and slept like a rock (well, until I finally had to get up at a little after 6:00 for work today).

Today I was also met with afternoon fatigue, but I think that was more job-related than anything. I set-out to cure my fatigue with a walk to the hospital store for some Diet Coke, Hot Tamales, and Sun Chips. I brought a cute little patient with me on my walk. He just came last week and it makes me smile because his face seems to light up when I talk to him (he's 11 and it's just super cute!) I also visited another patient who had made a thank you note for "Nurse Amanda" using the gel pens and stickers I gave her for her birthday (apparently, when she was getting moved from the ICU to the floor, her mom was telling her the good things about getting a new room, and she chimed in that "Nurse Amanda" is there...SO sweet!) It's also nice that when I was leaving yesterday and responded "yes" to a patient's mom's question if I worked again today and she said "yay!" Hmm, sounds like I had a good day DESPITE the dripping, sneezing, and coughing!

After work, I went to dinner with one of my co-workers. Her husband was out-of-town and she didn't know what she was going to do. I, of course, had nothing to do either. I said "let's go to a movie", but by 8:00, it would have had to be a LATE movie which would have been tough after a 12-hour shift, plus she works tomorrow. We went to dinner instead and ended up visiting until after 10:00. I "forced" her to work with me on Wednesday and today...she did put on my facebook once that she "hearts" working with me...so, there you go ;o)

Tomorrow, I think I am going to go to a movie with a friend and am making plans for coffee with another friend and lunch with yet ANOTHER friend. Monday I am having lunch with my dad since he is off for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Busy, busy!

Well, I better head to bed since sleep, fluids, and time are the only things I can think of to get rid of the drips, sneezes, and coughs.

And, even though my last post was about "fires" and candles, I have banned myself from lighting any real ones for a while after waking up yesterday morning to find a candle burning on my stove. I guess "horrified" is a pretty good word (oh, and grateful that nothing bad happened...the city has already seen more fires this week than have been seen in quite some time and I do NOT need to add to that statistic!)

Ever since I found this blog the other night after hearing about the earthquake in Haiti, I have been reading the words of this nurse who is there. The orphanage/hospital where she is was not damaged, but it is heartbreaking to read her stories. But, this post has hopeful news and some happy news, including the fact that a number of children were able to be transported to their adoptive homes sooner that expected which will end up making room for children who are orphaned from the earthquake. I can't even imagine...

Good night.

1 comment:

Steph said...

I'm getting sick too! My lovely sister (who has no concept of how germs are spread and never washes her hands before she touches things) gave it to me. Needless to say, I'm not happy at all.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails