Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Friday, June 6, 2008

Productive Day

I actually got out of bed at a fairly decent hour for a "day off" (about 8:30!). I went to a couple garage sales after my first cup of coffee. I was in search of a "kitchen set" and/or table for my play room. I ended up buying a little piano for a dollar and made plans to go to another one in the afternoon since my aunt was on her way to my house.

My aunt arrived a little before 10 and we got to work. She helped me weed and get rid of a bunch of "twirly birds" from my gigantic maple tree. She planted some "transplants" from her garden into mine, and also mowed the part of my lawn that is the most challenging. I am not shy about saying that yard work is not my thing (I told my mom the other day that I don't know how to do house work OR yard work...she laughed and said "I failed you"!). Actually, it wasn't bad since I was doing it with someone else. Now, for me to go outside on my own time and do all that kind of stuff...I've been REALLY lucky that it has rained so much (or, rather, my PLANTS are lucky it has rained so much!) because I am not good at remembering to water. My mom said she and my dad are planning to come over on Monday to do some more work in my yard, and clean out my gutters (I'll be at work, so won't be able to help that time...too bad!).

After my aunt left, I finished mowing the lawn, then took a shower before heading to my next garage sale. When I pulled up to the sale, right away I noticed the "kitchen set"...I was SO excited I could barely park quickly enough! Earlier I had decided that I would be willing to spend about $20. The price tag on the kitchen...yep, $20! Perfect, I'll take it!! I also got a little grocery cart, a basketball onesie, and a crib sheet for a pack 'n play to make an even $25 at that sale. I stopped by mom and dad's since my favorite three dolls seem to be missing. I still was not able to locate them, but am trying not to get too upset yet because maybe my mom has more places to look. I stopped by another garage sale on my way home and picked up two little toddler chairs for $6--now I know why people love "garage sale-ing"!!

By this time, I was MORE than ready for a nap! So, I took a nice one on the couch :o) We went out for dinner and to the casino for my brother-in-law's birthday. Some fun photos were taken, but it is after 11:00 and I should head to bed rather than upload them. MAYBE tomorrow won't be a crazy day at work and I will have enough energy to do that when I get off (I also still need to work on a slide show of my basement project...maybe I'll wait to post it until after I get my dolls, Barbies, kitchen, and shelves all set up).

I have to work the next three days...the last time I worked three in a row, I thought my feet were going to fall off. Hopefully it will be sometime between that kind of day, and the kind of day that I can't check my email often enough. Emotionally, I'm doing better...now I'm sure that my hormones played a role in my being overly emotional, but that doesn't mean the situation is any less sad or shocking.

Good night!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails