Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

I wish I wasn't so tired, because I should/could really write a nice little tribute to my dad on Father's Day. I have journalled many times about the activities I do with my dad. I love going to help him coach, having him coach me, going to the horse races, watching baseball together, sitting on the back porch having a drink, attending sporting events, movies, church...my dad and I have a GREAT time together. While I can't REALLY compare my father to the "icon" that is/was Tim Russert, he is definitely a staple in junior high athletics here. Pretty much anyone who attended a Catholic school in this city during the past fifteen or so years has seen, heard about, or knows my dad. This first picture is him at a restaurant for my brother-in-law's birthday. He was teasing the waiter and tried to "toss" his dirty plate across the table. The young waiter didn't catch the plate (oops), so my dad decided to find a broom and clean it himself. He enjoyed being the center of attention (he always does!).

Who else would decided to bleach his hair blond for his daughter's wedding in order to be the "blond bond". The next photo is him dancing with "my hot mama" at my sister's wedding. How wonderful it is that my parents love each other so much. The LOVE hanging out together and I think that is SO neat!! Yep, that's my dad...he definitely encouraged the "second looks" during those few months when his "signature" black hair was traded for the platinum look. (Most people agree that he looks MUCH better now that it is back to being black...even if it is a little "salt-and-pepper"!) He loves to dance and have a great time. My dad is rarely serious. (I think my mom will be happy that I kept her face off this blog entry!)

My dad thinks he started the Hawaiian shirt trend. He has WAY more pairs of shoes than I do, in every color of the rainbow. He has a closet full of sport jackets from the Goodwill. Today I asked him how many baseball caps he has. He told me he has never counted, but he thought "over 200". Whenever someone finds out that "he" is MY dad, they usually say "I LOVE him!", or something else to that effect. He makes an impression on everyone he meets, and I'm SO proud to be able to say that he is MY dad (and my sister's too!!).

The last photo is my dad and sister from Easter. For some reason there isn't one of me and him, but this works :o) I think we are BOTH happy to be playing softball together this year again with him as our coach.

Tonight after work, my mom made hamburger patties and my dad grilled them. After she and I ate, we sat outside. He had a cocktail, we had wine, and we fought off the mosquitos and June bugs (and other random annoying bugs), but had a nice visit.

One of the girls who came to my reunion has a dad in hospice. At least four other girls in my class have lost their fathers. While I am sure some how you have to continue on, I'm not sure how I would. My dad is SO important to me, and I depend on him for SO much. (My sister and I have already had "the talk" with our parents that they have to live forever because we couldn't survive without them!) Happy Father's Day dad (even though you don't read my blog because I've never give you the link!). I'm so blessed that God gave you to me (and me to you...)!



Posted by Picasa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails