I am SO glad that I do not have to go back to work until Sunday because today was a "doozy"!!
There were just two nurses in my area and the other one is probably the person I like the least of everyone who works on my floor. I don't think she is too crazy about me either. I usually try not to work with her, or at least make sure there is another nurse there as a "buffer". So, it was a "quiet day" in terms of any visiting going on because I actually don't think we spoke more than two words to each other all day. That could have made for a VERY long, boring day had I not been SUPER busy with my three patients. So it was not hard to stay out of her way.
I did a LOT of extra coordinating today that was probably beyond what I am "supposed" to do. However, it seemed like no one was going to do it, and it was to help the patient and her family, so I did it. That took probably an entire hour of my day from start-to-finish. I spoke pretty bluntly about my efforts to the person whose job it is to "coordinate". She didn't really see this as part of "her" duties, but I managed to draw a nice thank you out of her. My efforts also should "save" someone from another rampage like the one a doctor went on this morning. It wasn't meant to be directed at me (at least I hope it wasn't considering this doctor is my "favorite"...most of the time!), but it was there and if I saved someone else from that, then that is a job worth doing.
One of my patients began to get REALLY sick around 4:30. Of course, I couldn't depend on the other nurse in my area to help me. Luckily, the charge nurse was willing to come help me get the patient stabilized. She was starting to get better and then we went into a tornado warning. By that time we kind of knew what to do to help her, but we had to do it out in the nurse's station after our "evacuation". That tornado warning was in effect until 9:15, so for over 2 hours we had two shifts of nurses there. That was good since we got an initial call for a large number of casualties. They ended up taking the patients to other hospitals since they were more stable than initially thought. So, all of the "day shift" staff were allowed to leave after being there for nearly 15 hours! (Luckily I am not scheduled to work tomorrow!)
The storm is still going strong, so I think I'll be up for a while. Maybe I should do a better "set-up" in my basement in case the warning alarm sounds again (so I won't have to search for my necessary items and maybe will even blow up a mattress so I don't have to sleep on the floor!).
Prayers to everyone who has been affected by all the storms that have been passing through my area of the country. Water, wind, and hail can do SO much destruction and devastate homes and families. My parents are in Vegas right now, and luckily they only had a small amount of water in their basement when I checked it on my way home.
It could be a long night! Good night!
No comments:
Post a Comment