Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Still awake?!

I CANNOT believe I am still awake at 11:00 considering I was only in bed for 4 hours and got out of it SEVENTEEN hours ago! I worked for about thirteen of those and felt like I was sleepwalking half the time. It wasn't to the point that I feared the safety of my patients, but it was quite a challenge at times to keep my eyes open (I DID wear my glasses in hopes of combating part of the problem!). We were SO SO SO busy, especially considering hospitals usually try to "clear out" for Christmas, especially on the pediatric units. But no, we were almost completely full, and I think we actually only had one room open when I left, and MAYBE there was a PICU bed available if organs became available...LOTS of sick kids!

My friend and her family, though, they definitely made the most of Christmas in the hospital. They all realized that it is family that really matters and they were all together. (Of course, it helps that her son is feeling better.) My mom came up to the hospital to bring some yummy goodies and "luckily" the baby who decided to vomit all over me did so before she got there so she could stop by my house to get another pair of "red" scrub pants on the way. Living close to work is SO nice!

After work (LONG day!), I visited with my friend for a little while (making "plans" for my next two days off!). Some relatives were gathered at my mom and dad's house, but thankfully they didn't wait for me to eat. I ate when I got there and we had a nice visit. Then, my parents, sister, and I went next door for some more treats, conversation, and the ever famous shot of "12 year Jameson" . (I declined the shots last night for the first time since I was 20, but I can't imagine how much harder today would have been with THAT put into the mix!).

There were some nice family photos taken last night and today, but they are all on my mom's camera. I do have a few, so here goes (and then I go to bed!).

Mom's new pajamas...

I think Dad likes them too! :o


My friend and I in "all our hotness"...

she lives at the hospital,

I just worked a 12+ hour shift...

we make quite a pair

(got the "red going on anyway!)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails