Last year, I "kind of, sort of" joined Alece and over 300 people in creating "One Word 2011". This year, she created an entire web site and called it "One Word 365". I tend to like my "quiet little corner" in this blogging world, but do like the community that blogging has created for me, so I'm actually planning to "link up" this year. I also think that will make me more accountable to my word (rather than last year when I chose "trust", but never committed to writing an actual post saying I chose trust...you know, just in case it didn't work out...ha!)
I thought about what I wanted my "One Word" for 2012 to be for a long time. Trust turned out to be the perfect word for 2011...even more than I knew when I picked it a year ago. So, I wanted my word for this year to be equally as perfect (or almost at least!). The last week in November/beginning of December, I met with both my therapist and my spiritual director (lots of talking that week...ha!). During both meetings, I talked about how I had picked "trust" for this year and how perfect it was. I also mentioned to both of them that I was working on my "word" for next year and by the end of the week, I was "fairly sure" that I had chosen one. Then, I read this post that Sara's sister wrote the following week and I knew for certain I had made the right choice.
I wanted a word that would be versatile, so I could use it in many different situations. I have days I work, days I stay at home, days I see lots of different people, days I only talk to the people who live in my computer. I also wanted it to be word that I could remember so come June or so when someone asks how my "One Word 365" is going, I'll definitely know what it is/was.
Since I had to take everything off my fridge when it broke last week, my new fridge is a fresh slate. I decided that was the perfect place to put a reminder (just in case I need one). So, without further adieu, my One Word 365 is:
CHOOSE
Every day, we make choices. We don't always get to choose our circumstances or how other people's behavior, but we do have a choice on how we react to them. I can choose to be jealous or choose to be grateful. I can choose disappointment or choose to try again. I can choose to see failures or opportunities. The list goes on and on. When I think about what I "know" for 2012, I know one big choice will be if/when I will open my home to more foster children. I believe that some of my choices will not be "popular", and not all of my choices will be fully supported by people I love. However, by choosing the word "choose" for this year, I will be forced to make conscious decisions on a regular basis to "choose", even on little things, so when the "big things" come, I'll be ready (hopefully!)
And, even though 2011 is in the past, I will be able to continue using that word whenever I choose to trust...and surely there will be plenty of that this year too.
Feel free to join Alece and friends over at One Word 365 :)


2 comments:
I'm visiting some of the blogs from the OneWord community page and happened upon you :) Just wanted to wish you the best as you focus on "choose" (great choice... lol!) This is my first time trying the OneWord thing... I'm REJOICING this year!
Hey, visiting from OneWord365! I like this word, choose, and how is a reminder to make more deliberate choices each day! I chose the word FEARLESS!
Post a Comment