Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Getting Ready

Two weeks from today, I am having a party at my house. I sent 7 invitations, so it's going to a be a "full house". I'm not exactly sure what we'll do, but those 7 invitations includes 12 kids 5 and under, so it could be crazy!

I still have quite a bit of work to do to get my house "party ready", but I feel like I made some good progress this week. I rearranged some furniture in my living room and painted one of the pieces, so it looks really nice (I think so anyway...I am not at all an interior designer!) I am going to paint my bedroom and hope to get that done this week. I'm really looking forward to having a "grown-up" bedroom!

I bought some bed rails at a resale store for the bed in the room where the teen slept. I found plastic mattress covers at the dollar store.

I got reimbursed for the "day care fiasco" from the little one, so now the case is really closed. I am planning to go look at a day care near my house and my job that is open 24 hours on my next day off.

I picked up the teen from school on Thursday and we "hung out" before she came with me to a training at my foster care agency. She volunteered with the day care and I got to visit with other foster parents. The training was about the new visitation component of the agency that sounds amazing. Supervised and semi-supervised visits were not enjoyable experiences for me the first time around (visitation in general actually was the worst part of the whole experience, but having a reliable and dedicated agency will help SO much!)

I have posted on facebook a couple of times that I believe I am "almost ready" to open up the phone lines to potential foster placements. I have gotten positive responses from them. I have not directly talked to my parents, but did talk about it at therapy yesterday and to my agency worker a couple of times the past two weeks.

I am still going to "choose" wisely, but in the mean time, I am "getting ready" (even though I should have been sorting papers rather than watching TV and writing this post...)

Good night.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails