Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Now What

I met with one of the women I wrote about in this post (the other one was busy with our big document deadline). I thought I would feel empowered and ready to take on the "world". However, I just don't. In fact, I feel overwhelmed and anxious, wondering why I ever thought I could actually be that "bold". I'm not sure what happened, but I'm definitely not feeling nearly as confident (and competent) as I did about "taking action" a week ago. Deep down, I know that I want to do what is "right" and be an advocate for myself and my co-workers. I know that a change can't happen unless it starts somewhere. I also know that I have support from people who don't work on my unit (and in "high places" even), but I'm still scared. (Maybe I need to pull out my copy of What Women Fear and re-read a chapter or two...ha!)

So, I'm not sure what is going to happen from here. She gave me the suggestion to ask management to let me borrow a copy of their "relationship-based care" book, but also said that I should bring a trusted person with me whenever I go talk to them. I'm not sure who would go with me or how long it would take me to get them to "buy into" how I want to handle things. So, in a sense, it could be easier to do alone, but it is still scary either way.

More to come...it's past my bed time and I haven't had to get up early for a few days.

Good night.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails