Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Choosing to Choose


Yesterday, I met with my "spiritual director". She is a really sweet woman and I'm blessed to have found what is a bit like another therapist, only free...and we do talk about some things that I don't talk about at therapy, but I'm definitely someone who likes to "talk it out" (hence my super long posts all the time!)

She was curious as to what I had decided on for my "One Word" since I had not 100% decided on "Choose" when we met at the beginning of December. I let her know about the post that Sara's sister wrote that pretty much "sealed the deal" and also that Alece had chosen the same word, which is cool too. Even though, like I mentioned in my first OneWord365 post, I sort of like being a quiet member of these (extremely) large communities, but am thankful that I have the opportunity to be a member and change my mind at any time in terms of how much I want to do. In any case, I think it will serve as a great reminder for me and also keep me accountable.

As she and I talked about what I want "Choose" to look like, I mentioned that I wasn't going to leave "trust" in the past. It isn't "so last year" and I know that I want my choices to be intentional and based on trusting God's hand in my life and it's journey. I also understand that just because I am focusing on "choosing", it isn't in order to be reckless because "I have choices", the choice is mine, free will kind of thing. However, I think being mindful of the choices that I make every day will help when I am faced with something that really does require me to "choose".

While I am not going to make "resolutions" because that's the whole point of picking one word, there are a couple of things I want to be mindful of during this year.

  • I realized that I get jealous about things/people more than I would like to admit, and more than I knew. So, in these circumstances, I will need to remind myself to choose thoughts/feelings besides jealousy.
  • Reading this post by Alece and this one from Annie showed me that I'm no where near alone in my struggles with friendships, community, and living as a single person. However, there are some things that can be done if I want to change what community looks like in my life. I want to choose to make time to cultivate that this year...with the friends I have, the friends I have lost touch with, and new friends to come.
  • Last year, I started a lot of books, but think I may have only finished one. I'd like to finish more than one book this year.
  • I found myself struggling at work the last few weeks/months of last year at work. I don't like who I became at work during those times, so will use my word to remind me to choose differently (tomorrow is my first day of work this year, so I'm hoping I had enough of a break to go in with renewed energy and a changed attitude!)
  • I don't want to make too long of a list, so I think I will leave this one as "everything else"--choices/conscious efforts to choose in aspects of my life from faith-building, family, parenting, and continued growth and learning from those people placed in my path.

I am choosing to believe that 2012 is going to be a great year!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails