(Summer 2010)
Today there was a review hearing on the girls' case. I normally wouldn't have been invited/attended, but there was an issue with day care payment. The GAL told me she would ask the judge to force the State to pay the week of day care they are refusing to pay. So, I had to be in attendance in case I needed to testify/give additional information. Of course, I was super stressed even though she assured me it was "no big deal"!
I texted the girls' mom yesterday to let her know that I'd be in attendance for that reason. She texted me early this morning to see what time court was (for the record, this is third time I had to tell her the date and time of her hearing). Good thing she and I get along because we were the only ones from the case present in the waiting room (the last two times I went I sat with my foster care specialist way in the back and did not really talk to the girls' mom).
When we were called to court, I discovered that the GAL who told me to come wasn't there, but she had sent someone in her place. That person told me she didn't really think it would be as the other GAL told me and it definitely wouldn't be a "piece of cake"...awesome, as if I wasn't anxious enough! Then, once the hearing started, the State worker said she wasn't going to accept the day care information since she didn't have a copy of it (or was going to refuse it or something that did not start things off right!) Thankfully, the Judge said I didn't have to go to the witness stand and did say that the State and foster care agency had to work out something within the week for payment to the day care. I'm hoping this means that I am "off the hook" in having to pay the $155 (and don't have to consider small claims court which was the suggestion from the stand-in GAL).
Other than waiting for the day care issue to be resolved, the recommendation from everyone was that the case be closed. I was actually surprised since they've been home less than four months after spending about 22 months in care. While I didn't think they would end up back in care nor did I want that to happen, it was still bittersweet hearing those words "case closed". I liked the security of knowing that people were checking up on things when I wasn't there. I liked knowing that she had to stay here in the State since she is known to "skip town".
But, now they can go on living life together without worrying that could change in an instant (well, I guess if she messes up big time, then it could, but fortunately, I don't really feel that will happen). The girls are happy and they are safe. I think it is going to take me a long time to forgive her for the way she treated the girls while they were in my care and I don't think I'll ever be able to use the word "good" to describe her capability as a mother. However, as long as she continues to allow me to see them and spend time with them, I believe they have the best of both worlds.
And, I'm very proud of the work that I have done in the 19 months I have known them...and look forward to seeing where life takes them.
(December 2011)
After court, I called my foster care specialist to fill her in on what happened at court. We visited for half an hour. I'm still praying about it, but think I'm almost ready for the phone lines to be open to taking calls for future placements. Like my therapist told me, my sister didn't ask anyone if March was a good time to have a baby, so I shouldn't be "required" to ask anyone else if now is a good time to get another placement. However, I will definitely keep my family's feelings in mind when it comes time to make a decision, but ultimately, the choice will be mine...
No comments:
Post a Comment