Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Snowed in

The last time I wrote, I was "preparing myself for the worst" with a co-workers feelings about her patient assignment. Well, as soon as I arrived at work, that feeling went away since "her" patient had gone to the ICU overnight and she just had to laugh at it being her "turn" for the "assigned" patient. Then, we became aware that one of our co-workers had been in a bad car accident the night prior and the thoughts quickly turned to that (oh how much I hate to drive, ESPECIALLY in the winter!). It was a super crazy and not very fun day for me...maybe because it was my third day in a row and I was just tired, but I was really crabby and couldn't wait to get home! Of course, it was one of those shifts that would never end and I want to say it was nearly 8:30 by the time I clocked out and was on my way home. That is a LONG day!

I was in bed by 10:15 and just slept and slept until finally rolling out of bed around 12:15. And, even then, it was simply rolling out of bed and onto the couch. I hardly left the couch all day long, even though I REALLY wanted to be productive. At one point during the day, I was in tears because I just could NOT bring myself to do anything and just felt terrible. And so, I just sat staring at my computer, watching facebook, twitter, and google reader updates with the television on as the snow fell outside. I wasn't about to leave the house with that much snow coming down--there was no way my Jetta would make it out of my neighborhood. I missed the baby shower at work for my "favorite" charge nurse. I didn't have any eggs so couldn't make pumpkin bars or do any kind of baking really. For some reason I still have yet to find motivation to get out any Christmas decorations. It was a "snow day" for the teachers and students who probably enjoyed having an unexpected day off. But, I guess for me, it was simply a "break" after three days that somehow drained me of any energy and motivation. And so, I did nothing...well, I SUPPOSE I did run the dishwasher (and put away "most" of the dishes), did a load of laundry (and a half...still have some in the washer that I'll probably regret not drying), and did one round of shoveling (that was some HEAVY snow...I was going to go back out, but there was supposed to be about 5 inches more after I shoveled, so it didn't seem worth the energy). But, I mostly felt like a bump on a log...in a "lovely" little funk.

And, it's back to work tomorrow for more "fun". My mom is going to pick me up and bring me to work so I don't have to figure out how to drive my Jetta in nine inches of blowing snow out of an unplowed neighborhood up multiple hills (or walk the 1.2 miles to work in blizzard conditions). I hope I get good patients and have a calm day...I really need one of those!

I still am planning on writing a Christmas letter. I think enough happened in 2009 that I would feel okay doing one of those. I typically write personal notes, but my hand will get tired writing about everything to everyone! Last year, I made a collage to include with my card (I think I sent a picture of my house the year before that since I bought it from my parents January 2, 2007). I had a hard time picking pictures for my collage and have still not decided if this will be the final version. I made it in Picasa and it is sized 5 x 7. I have not figured out how much it will cost to print that many 5 x 7s (or know what it will actually look like when printed in 5x7...plus, 5x7 is pretty huge to send to people for a Christmas card, so it will be interesting to see if it prints okay in 4x6...) So, this is the "draft" (it is actually draft #2 because after I made the first one, I realized there were no pictures of my sister or my brother-in-law...oops!)



Starting from upper left, going clockwise, I will try to "explain" the pictures (and keep them in order...there are a lot of pictures since it was hard to choose!)--me and my "friend from Curves" after my performance in June; my mom, my parents' neighbors, and me in the limo in Vegas; a picture Ginger took of me in Chicago; me and my nephew at the pumpkin patch; my brother-in-law and nephew at the pumpkin patch; me and my nephew at Thanksgiving; my aunt, uncle, and me in Vegas; my cousins and me when I went to my cousin's graduation in May; the picture my mom took at the concert last week; me with my high school friend at her baby's Baptism; me and a work friend in Montreal; Ginger, Lauren, and me on the boat tour in Chicago; Ginger and me when she came to visit; me turning 30 in Vegas; my sister and me on my sister's birthday; me on the day my nephew was born; the middle picture is me with some girlfriends from high school (I'm contemplating taking that one out since it would make the other pictures bigger, but haven't decided yet)...

Any thoughts...pictures maybe I should have included, but didn't, pictures that could be taken out, is it an overwhelming number of pictures?? I went out of town four times this year, so wanted to include those. I didn't include any pictures from any of our many extended family gatherings, so maybe I should change some things around to include those...or, this is MY Christmas collage, so it should be about ME?! In that case, it would be fun to have pictures of all of my friends, but I think this includes "most" of the friends I saw this year...for reference, last year's collage is in this post.

Well, it's 11:30 and even though I showered tonight, I still need to get up earlier that usual so maybe I can shovel a little bit (or at least make SURE I am ready when my mom gets here to pick me up!)

Hoping my "funk" is gone by the morning.
Good night.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails