Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Perked Up


Well, I guess moving the paper white to the TV next to it's "friend" was a good idea because it definitely perked up today! Maybe it WILL bloom this week!



I mentioned somewhere that my extended family adopted one of the families whose children receive care at my hospital. A couple of our families have "informally" and "formally" adopted families in the past. However, this year, one of my aunts included everyone, or at least invited everyone to participate, and everyone was on board (remember, there were over 30 people at Thanksgiving!) A group of them went to Target on the day after Thanksgiving (I ended up not going which is a long story, but I am glad that I stood my ground, and actually think it is better that I can say that these gifts were not "from me", they were from my family.) Not sure if you can tell exactly how much stuff is there, but it is a lot! We discussed giving them the warm clothes they asked for prior to Christmas because they may need them in the mean time. That was left up to me and because I was taking care of one of the kids this weekend, I decided to bring the mom's coat and the dad's coat/gloves/hat today. I used an interpreter and hopefully they understood that these were not gifts from me, they were from my family because they wanted to adopt a family and their family was chosen...I may have to keep telling them that because I wouldn't want them to misinterpret things. Since it snowed today (BOOOOO!), I may bring the mom her boots tomorrow. The dad was so appreciative and it wouldn't surprise me if he is wearing the coat the next time I see him...it was really cute!

So, yes it snowed, and I'm not at all happy about that. Yes, this area of the country gets snow. Yes, I have been living here almost my entire life. However, I really am not a big fan of driving when the weather is perfect. Throw some snow and ice and I absolutely HATE it! Big vehicles scare me, so I have my little Jetta and it does well for me...except it is still frightens me to drive and I always have troubles getting up my driveway into the garage (I'd link to THAT picture, but need to go to bed!). I don't think there was three inches on the ground and I seriously wanted to cry when I was driving the 1.2 miles home from work. I'm hearing predictions of a foot of snow one night this week...not looking forward to that at all!

I'm also not looking forward to work tomorrow...and not just because I will have to get up earlier and get ready faster to make sure I have plenty of time to get to work. I'm actually almost dreading it (well, I am dreading the potential snowy drive, just sort of dreading the rest of the day). One of the nurses who has been there FOREVER, "always" takes care of this one patient. And, she also has refused to take care of a long-term patient. Well, I have been taking care of "her" patient for the past two days and am not going to change my patient assignment for her. And, the patient she has been refusing is now on a rotating nurse schedule that goes in alphabetical order so everyone gets their "turn" (you know there are issues when people are "forced" to take care of you on a rotating bases...just sayin'). Tomorrow it is her turn...for the first time ever. So, it is a double whammy and I have a feeling she is going to be royally ticked and, even though most of the time she is a VERY nice person, she may not be very pleasant tomorrow. I am trying to prepare myself for the worst and I am HOPING it doesn't end up being bad at all. I mean, she KNOWS her day is coming, but I have a feeling she could have some major issues with me having "her" patient and not willing to change (and, I'm hoping I won't regret not changing since I suppose the kid could also be quite ticked that I am the nurse and not her...)

Well, I was going to try to go to bed early since I have to get up earlier, but that isn't happening I guess. I am off this next weekend, so have to work Monday-Wednesday-Friday (after working Saturday and Sunday). It could be a yucky week...or I could choose (at least try to) for it to not be yucky and try to find non-yucky things every day :o)

Good night.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails