It's kind of nice when there are no "wrong" answers, but it also makes it a little challenging.
Today was a "super crazy" day at work for me. I was really stressed out all day and it actually ended with tears streaming down my face at one point. Maybe I have just been "spoiled" by having easier patients so today just SEEMED to be terrible, even though it wasn't really THAT bad. However, it sure did feel "that bad". With respiratory season comes the dreaded oximeters. Very good technology to make sure patients are getting enough oxygen to their brains by putting a "sticker" on them, but you still need a person to make sure they are working properly. Two of my three patients were on oximeters all day. Both of them were rather fussy and squirming around which leads to unnecessary alarms to my phone. They also both liked to not breathe very well when they were upset so I couldn't just IGNORE the constant alarms, just in case they did, in fact, need more oxygen. I ran from one room to the other ALL DAY LONG (of course, if I had had a parent there, or one that spoke English, it would have made things a little easier...) I also had to go off the floor with my OTHER patient for a 30 minute test and THAT patient decided to buy himself an oximeter as well...at least for a little while.
All in a day's work, I guess...it was a LONG twelve hours for sure, and I am SO happy to have the next three days off!
I did, however, have the opportunity to be a little spontaneous (or maybe "impulsive"?!) and take a little overnight road trip with a friend. It would have involved driving all night long and then using one of my free airline tickets to fly back home. After discussions with a couple different people, the decision was ultimately left up to me. Both of them made good points, but neither really tried to sway me one way or the other. In the end, I decided that there may be a better time, maybe an even more fun way, or more necessary way, to use my free airline ticket. While driving all night long with my friend would have been fun, and it would have been nice to get away from here for a while, I definitely would have been pretty tired when I got back home. I also wouldn't have been able to DO anything with my friend except talk, and I'm not a very good car traveler so probably would have been asleep before we left the state! Plus, I was pretty crabby after the long shift, so probably wouldn't have been that great of company anyway.
If I would have gone, it would have been great, but not going was a good choice too. Now, I will sleep in my own bed for as long as I want since I don't have to get up early. Tomorrow, if I want, I have all day to do all those things that I have been meaning to do. No "wrong" answer, but I think I made the "right" one for this time...with a little help from my friends :o)
Good night.
No comments:
Post a Comment