Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Just an Ordinary Day?

On Monday, when I was at work, I was a little taken aback by the words of one of my co-workers. She was wondering if Christmas doesn't become exciting again until you have kids. She said it didn't even feel like Christmas... I actually didn't have any words to respond to that. While I was feeling "the Christmas Spirit" a little more this year, it really doesn't feel the same as it did even seven years ago when Christmas meant coming home for break after finals before a new semester began. I would have to look back at my calendar/journals to see, but I'm fairly certain that the past six years I have worked Christmas Eve or Christmas Day (or at least scheduled to work). Maybe that makes a difference, but I'm not sure.

I was SO excited to have this Christmas off work. And yet, today has felt like any other day off. I slept in before going to work out. I sat on my couch watching TV, staring at my computer, and eating. I took a long bath just because I couldn't think of anything else to do (although I really could have gotten some Christmas cards done!) I did take the above picture...and noticed that the angel is a little crooked, but I guess that's what happens when you are "vertically challenged"! The presents below are what I have for my family (and eagle-eyed readers may recognize my large trees little friend :o) ).

And so, now I am sitting by the tree, breathing in the scent of my Christmas Cookie plug-in, and listening to Christmas music...trying to remember that this is NOT just an ordinary day! In a couple hours, we will gather at my grandparents' house and exchange gifts after sharing a meal together. Over half the people who will be there do not believe in Jesus. So, I'm not sure if the Christmas spirit will feel quite alive there, although time with family is so special and are moments to be treasured.

I will, however, be singing with the choir at Midnight Mass and SURELY that will make it feel like Christmas, right?!

I captured this picture of one of the ornaments on my tree. Joy is what I hope for all my friends and family this Christmas...and the year to come...

This is the Christmas photo my mom will be including in her cards...

Okay, so maybe typing this will remind me of why this seemingly "ordinary" day is anything but that...I hope so anyway because I would hate to be dubbed a "Scrooge"...

So, maybe I should sit back, listen to the music, take in the glow of the lights, and just appreciate being home and thankful for all the blessings I have been given...

2 comments:

Laurie in Ca. said...

Merry Christmas Amanda. I know you will have a good time and you will be blessed because you KNOW the ONE who matters most this season. And singing in the choir at Midnight Mass will get you rocking inside for sure.

Laurie

Marcie said...

Merry Christmas, Amanda! I imagine the Midnight Mass choir got you in the spirit of Christmas. Have a wonderful time with your family! And may 2009 hold great joy and many surprises.

Marcie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails