Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet
Thursday, December 18, 2008
Cribbage Club
I'm not sure how much I have journaled about my time living in Rhode Island. When I was about to graduate from nursing school in May of 2002, I decided to pursue my "dream" of living on the East Coast. I had thought about it multiple times before, even applying to a couple colleges there. Becoming a "travel nurse" seemed appealing at the time, but I knew I needed at least a year experience before an agency would hire me. My dad told me that if I came home to get my experience, I probably would end up staying. So, I managed to get a job working at a children's hospital in Rhode Island, packed my bags and moved. My sister and cousin were there with me for the summer, but for the next twelve months it was just me.
Those twelve months are kind of a blur to me. I'm not sure why, but I have a hard time believing that I actually lived on my own, thousands of miles away from home, for an entire year. What did I do?! There are times in my life when the memories are so vivid it was like they happened yesterday, and yet I only remember bits and pieces of those months. I recall certain "special patients" (so I know that the special ones I have met these past five years will not be lost from my memory!) and some of the special things I did while I was there, but the day-to-day stuff, not really. I have no idea what I ate (although, in searching through photos today, I found a picture I took of a VERY full freezer of frozen meals...ha ha!) or what I did to keep busy, considering I only had a couple friends. (Well, now that I am typing this, I am actually remembering more occasions than I thought I did...that is good...I would hate to have lost my memory at the "ripe old age" of 29!)
One thing I DO remember doing was going to Cribbage Club. I could go back to my old journals to see when I started going, but I guess that isn't TOO important to this story. "My" Cribbage Club met on Thursday nights at the local rec center. I have no idea what those people were thinking when I first walked in that room that first night. But I suppose it was along the lines of "Surely she is in the wrong place!" Then, they heard my story, that I had moved out there all alone (and just decided to go check out this "cribbage club"!) That does sound like kind of a brave thing to do, but I never really thought of it like that, determined may be a better word!
They welcomed me into their group, and I attended pretty much whenever I didn't have to work. I never did win the "big prize" of the night, but surely brought a lot of laughter along with me whenever I went. It was really fun, and helped make it not quite as lonely. I looked forward to the Thursdays when I could go to Cribbage Club.
When I decided to move back home, they threw me a little party on my last night there (my photos are not organized at ALL so I wasn't able to find any pictures from that night, but am pretty sure there was a cake and presents involved!).
Three years ago, I went and visited them when I was in town for my friend's wedding. I took those photos posted at the top of this entry. (Somehow I found those photos in my mess of a scrapbook room!)
A couple nights ago, I was playing cribbage on the computer against a "robot" and thought about "my cribbage club people" and wondered how they were doing...
Today, I received a Christmas card in the mail from one of the women (actually, the one in the brightly colored shirt in the first photo). Her note read "Sorry to say 'D' and 'M' passed on this year. 'D'-August, 'M'-November". Wow. Unfortunately, my memory with names is not that great (if I recall, I had a hard time even when I was attending regularly!), so I'm not even sure which ones 'D' and 'M' are, but my "guesses" are the woman in the teal shirt and the man in the third photo...either way, I remember hearing them say "M's" name with that Rhode Island accent, and laughing with "D", even if I can't see their faces...
Sure, they were granted much more time on this earth than many I know who have passed away, but that thought doesn't really make it any less sad. I have tears in my eyes thinking about them and what their losses must have done to that group. A loss is a loss no matter how many breaths a person takes (or never takes) or how many years they live. I know that Cribbage Club was a blessing to me, even if I never called it that. I am grateful for the time I spent with them, and am sure I am carrying lessons they taught me, even if they are not "identifiable" (I still lost to a robot a time or two, but sometimes that's how the cards go!)
Prayers tonight, then, for those families, and for all families who are missing loved ones tonight, especially as Christmas is quickly approaching.
Good night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment