Oh, it is SO nice to be able to use that as a title! I feel like I have been Little Miss Crabby Pants for a LONG time (my mom tells me I can't use hormones as an excuse all the time, but I definitely don't think they help my mood!). The past week or so has been pretty emotional. Along with dealing with high acuity patients, high-maintenance family members, and trying to figure out how to get some extra money to pay my bills, there are also some sad changes happening at my work. A nurse I really like to work with put in her notice, as have two other nurses. She will be done the end of the month. One of the doctors that I LOVE has taken a position in another state. I'm actually not quite "over that" yet and typing those words immediately brought tears to my eyes. While I realize that it is a great opportunity for her and her family, I have learned a great deal from her. She is a surgeon who is patient and kind, which isn't always the case. She takes time to speak with every family, and listens to all concerns that are brought to her attention. She is a patient advocate, but also a nursing advocate. Thankfully, I have had the opportunity the past couple weeks to talk to her, and let her know how much she will be missed (I still want to write her a note...I think her last day is next week).
Okay, that doesn't sound like a "good day", but really it was! I had the opportunity to attend a transplant conference (it was FREE and they even served a breakfast buffet and had a "sit down" lunch and two snack breaks!). All of the presenters were from my hospital, so that was really cool considering I think it was a regional conference. I learned a LOT! I wasn't sure who I would sit with, since no one from my floor was attending. I am pretty used to going places alone and would have been okay, but it is a little awkward just to wander around alone at things like that!
I ended up walking into the conference with someone I hadn't seen in a LONG time! She is a woman who adopted a little girl my family briefly had in foster care when I was in high school. The girl was six at the time. It didn't work out for her to be in our family, but I think having a mom with no husband or other children is exactly what she needed. She has graduated from high school and is thinking about being a nurse. Her mom gave me her phone number and said she would love to hear from me and talk about nursing. Even though she was young, she still remembers the time she spent at our house (an example of how one can make a big difference in a short amount of time!).
I found a seat with some of the new nurses who will work in the PICU. I didn't really talk to them much, but it was nice to have a place to sit!
I also have a new friend :o) I spent a lot of today with her and that is most of what made today a "good day"! She is a nurse practitioner at my hospital who does consults on some of our patients. So, I see her around and always say hello. I knew she was nice, but on Sunday, I decided that I really liked her and would enjoy spending more time with her. I found out yesterday that she planned to be at the conference, and I was hoping I would be able to find her (there were over 200 people there, but I did!). I sat with her and another nurse practitioner at lunch, and we also talked during some of the breaks. We left together, and she invited me to go out with her to meet another friend for a drink. While I could have accomplished quite a few necessary things around the house if I had just come home, I decided that I needed to seize the opportunity to do something social! As it turned out, none of her friends came, so it was just the two of us. We talked for nearly two hours! Even being about ten years older than me with a four-year-old, we found lots of things to talk about and just enjoyed each other's company. I told her I am most comfortable with people over thirty! I had a great time, and think she did too...both of us needed this today. While I am not sure when we will go out again, I hope it works out some time soon. At least I will see her around at work :o)
My softball team played really well (I didn't play that great, which frustruates me a little...) and didn't lose by that much. It was fun, though.
I still haven't talked to my sister, but guess another branch of the same bank was actually robbed today, and they are pretty sure it is the same people. I do not believe they have been caught. Pretty scary stuff, especially because those areas of town are not areas that typically have many crimes.
Well, it is 11:30 and there is a chance I have to work tomorrow. So, I'd better think about getting ready for bed! While I would LOVE the extra money, I have a long list of things that should be done tomorrow. I need to do a new contract for the extra bonus shifts (now that I should be done with my extra crabbiness for a month or so, I should be okay working extra, right?!).
Good night.
No comments:
Post a Comment