Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Along for the Ride

Today was the wedding shower for one of my cousins. She is the second "cousin" to get married, and also is the second daughter in her family (my sister, the second daughter in OUR family was the first one to get married!). The shower details brought some "drama" and hurt feelings to some members of my family for quite some time. The shower was held in my mom's home town which is a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive. It happened that my mom's "favorite" aunt was celebrating her 80th birthday yesterday in a town pretty close to her home town. I had to work yesterday, as did my sister, and one of my other cousins. So, the three of us had to do a "day trip". I thought that ANOTHER cousin (one five years younger, but is the "planner" and more of an adult in that way than I am!) would come with us...and drive us. However, she had yesterday off, so went up early. That left the issue of how the rest of us would get to the shower. I do not like to drive. My sister HATES to drive, and would have refused to go if that was the option. Our cousin is apparently directionally challenged (she is 21). So, instead of stepping up to be the "grown-up" (after this issue was resolved, I reminded myself that I am nearly 29 years old and the oldest grandchild, so really should be responsible!), my mom decided to go to the birthday party yesterday, come home for the night, then drive us up and back today. With gas prices the way they are, this is pretty darn crazy! However, it was important to her that my sister and I got there without stressing out. It was also easier for her to deal with the earlier "drama" doing it this way.

So, along for the ride we went. My sister rode "shot gun" (see, I can be a nice sister sometimes!). My cousin and I rode in the back seat. Her sister joined us for the return trip (three "adults" in the backseat of an Accord...good thing none of us is over 5'4"!!). My mom "swears" this was not a big deal...I think she is AWESOME! :o)

The "after shower" was even more fun than the actual shower part! The hostess has a pool in the back yard. None of us "travelers" brought our bathing suits, but that didn't stop us from putting our feet in. We had some yummy "girl drinks" and visited (four aunts and six of us cousins). I was already looking forward to our family reunion later this month, but now I am even MORE excited! Even though it would be even more fun if everyone could go, but if this afternoon was any indication of how much fun we will have, it is going to be GREAT!!


Some of the cousins. Missing four girl cousins
(and of course the eight boy cousins!)


Sister, cousin, me :o)
Just me and my sister!
Five aunts, the hostess, and the bride-to-be
Posted by Picasa
Tomorrow I have a meeting at 7:30. I think I should set some organizational goals for tomorrow. It should NOT be so hard to get motivated when I have four days off a week! I think I should try and make this a "no excuses" week. Wish me luck :o) Good night.
Edited to add: Ha ha! Look what showed up as the "Quote of the Day" after I posted this...
"After all is said and done, more is said than done." ~Aesop
Ahh, such truth...especially when it comes to doing things that are not fun or exciting! Okay, better get to bed now :o)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails