Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good thing, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. ~Stephen Grellet

Friday, July 4, 2008

Freedom

It is actually nearly 1:00 in the morning, but I wanted this post to have the July 4 date...SO, I really need to type this fast because I have TONS of work to do tomorrow and know it will be tough forcing myself out of bed even if I went there now.

However, I did want to post about freedom and the wonderful things I have because I live in this country, that I often take for granted. Here are a few of those things...
  • I am free to attend whatever church I want. I am not persecuted for my beliefs.
  • I can drive my car wherever I want to drive it. I can drive thousands of miles in any direction and not be stopped (unless I break any laws with my driving!). I decided I wanted to go to a different state for college; and to yet another state to live for a while.
  • I can go to the grocery store to buy frozen corn and have at least five different brands to choose from (it may cost more than it used to, but I still have a choice).
  • If I choose to vote, I have a say in who is elected to public office. I am free to give my opinion if I disagree with decisions made by public officials, and have many different ways to express those thoughts.
  • I can wear whatever I want. I can do my hair however I want (or NOT do my hair as the case usually is!). I can wear make-up, or choose not to.
  • It is okay that I am 28 years old and am not married. This is a choice that girls in many countries do not have.
  • I have my own money. I own my own car and my own house. I can spend my money on whatever I want.
  • There are many, MANY other rights that I have because people fought for them, and continue to fight for them, for ME. (I'm too tired to think any more...)

I love being an American. Happy Independence Day!

My bed is calling my name :o) Good night.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails